Variations on a folksong

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    barb
    Participant

Here’s a link to some baroque music on melodica – I’m playing 3 parts on a Yamaha P3D, and the bassline on Motif XS synthesizer rack with breath controller (Yamaha BC1). When you make breath controllable patches on the synth, it’s a little like playing a giant electronic melodica

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Awesome Barb. Great use of the breath controller and synth.
    Melodica-Me

Lowboy
    Participant

Baroque. My favorite style of “serious” music.

Barb, nice job making the melodica tracks sound super on this type of music. I thought I was in church.

Is this an original composition?

Lowboy

barb
    Participant

Thanks! The bass part is from the 1600’s – one that people jammed on when playing for dances etc.
    The melody part is also from long ago, and the other parts are my contribution. I arranged it for my melodica band.

Joanna Funk
    Participant

That is really classy Barb. I love it! And you have a melodica band ?Fabulous

Alan Brinton
    Participant

I agree, Joanna, but I wonder if barb has a melodica band or is one.

We have been getting some terrific member performances here lately. It is delightful and humbling.

Daren
    Keymaster

This is just great! Lovely professional sound. Interestingly doesn’t sound like P37Ds to me – the sound seems more organ-like. What mics and eq did you use? I notice you’ve used a Hammond 44 in the photo!

barb
    Participant

Thanks, everyone!
    My P37D Suzuki has been modified with 2 pickups by the good folks at Heyday Music in Asheville NC. He doesn’t remember exactly what he used, but there are 2 piezo disks, about 3/4 inch across, in parallel. He says they are the kind security people put on windows to sense vibrations. He placed them on the plastic that covers the reeds, one by the low e, and the other by the high g. Then I ran it through a Steinberg interface and put a bit of stock reverb from Reaper on it. I did not EQ the melodicas.
    This recording is all me; AND we have a melodica band (Next Road Over) of 5 here in Western North Carolina. Fran, who played bass on the recent Monsters of Melodica project is in the band. We also have a group of about 12 people who get together 2-3 times a month to play. Come sit in with us!

Joanna Funk
    Participant

I had another listen, Barb. Gorgeous. Do you write the arrangements or improvise each line? I wish I could listen to Next Road Over. ?

barb
    Participant

I hope someday you can listen while you are playing with us – I like your music! Sometimes I run the “tape” while I improvise and then write that down for my band to play

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button