Upgrade from Walther P/U 10

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Lukas
    Participant

Hi all,

I’ve had the Walther P/U 10 melodica for some time now and have enjoyed learning to play (I play keyboards usually) and tune it to a certain level. Now I feel I can justify taking the next step with a pro level melodica for home studio recording and some gigs (when I know it won’t get damaged). My main issues with the Walther is it might not hold its tuning that well (I have far from perfect pitch, but still) and the reeds feel kinda inconsistent in how fast they respond. Also the sound quality could be better I guess. I want a melodica with a woodwind kind of sound, which maybe doesn’t cut through a mix but sounds warm and beautiful.

My candidates so far are the Suzuki MC37 and pro 37 as well as the yamaha P37. Here in Sweden it seems the pro37 is the easiest one to get and I like its looks the best, but people seem to think the others are better and for less money. What would you recommend? Will any of these be enough of a step up from the Walther to justify the cost?

Daren
    Keymaster

Hi Lukas, you’re right – the Suzuki MC37, and Yamaha P37D are the main contenders, but I’m not sure yo’ll find that all elusive warm and beautiful sound. I’m a fan of the Yamaha, and I think you’ll find that it really does justify the cost. If you have some woodworking skills, try re-casing a P37D in wood, it may give you just the sound you’re looking for, or alternatively, use a dynamic mic like the Shure SM58 – it will round off any harshness, and leave the sweetness 🙂

Here’s one I made earlier from a P32D

wooden melodica yamaha P32D

Alan Brinton
    Participant

I’m with Daren on the Yamaha for the kind of sound you want, Lukas. You will notice a huge difference. It or either of the Suzukis will hold its tuning as well as can be expected.

Lukas
    Participant

Thanks for your replies 🙂 I have checked some YouTube comparisons and it seems to me the suzukis have the smoothest sound, but it could be peoples recording equipment of course. My woodworking skills are unfortunately not enough for such a project, but there is of course the Mylodica, only I was scared away from that by some not so good reviews. I’ll just trust my Oktava MK319 to smooth out the melodica just like it does with acoustic guitar 🙂

I really want to like the pro 37 more because of how it looks haha, but maybe the other two are better as you say. Anyway on Amazon the MC37 seems to be $200 and the p37 is $100. If the Suzuki harmonicas website just restock the mc37 though it should cost €100 there… so I’ll wait a few days at least until I order something.

Lukas
    Participant

Ok so I know it’s not what you suggested but I went ahead and ordered that Pro 37 anyway ^^ I got it in the mail today and am really impressed and satisfied! It’s so much easier to play than the Walther, it responds in a completely different way and has a gigantic dynamic range in comparison. The sound can be much smoother but also louder than I’ll ever need.

Paul Durham
    Participant

Very pleased for you. It is always good to make your own choices and only you can judge whether the extra cost is justified. If it gives the service you need, great.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

One very desirable feature of the Pro is the screw-off air vent.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button