THE HOHNER ORGANA / MELODICA CONVERSION BUILD VIDEO

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Melodica-Me
    Participant

I though I would share a there part video series of the Hohner Organa to Melodica Conversion also known as “El Gigante” (The Giant). I made this a three video series so if you want to only look a one part you do not have to look at the entire video. Part I is of the actual conversion from air organ to melodica. Part II is the making of the wood body. Part III and final video is of the finish and final assembly including the making of the mouth piece. I posted the video of the melodica mouth piece last month here on Melodica World which I describe in some detail. Please let me know if anyone has any questions on the build.
    Melodica-Me

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Nexts is Part II “Making the Body” this video show the steps used to build the wooden body.

Melodica-Me

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Here is Part III the last and final video. Part III is finish and final assembly with some pictures of the making of the Ebonite mouth piece. If you liked these video please like subscribe and please share.

Thanks as always for watching
    Melodica-Me

Daren
    Keymaster

This is incredible!!

I bet you were relived to discover brass reeds, I’m impressed with the Celtic pattern!

I’m wondering what the attack’s like, I think its normally quite slow if you’re using a fan, but does that change with the conversion? And the reeds? Are they warm? Stable? What’s the tuning like?

I wish you had a desk at my workshop 🙂

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Thank you Daren, the attack is subjective, for some style of music it is great for other not so great. For single note playing it’s pretty good. The lower you go on the keyboard, the slower the attack. If I adjust the valves for single note use, this improves the attack. I have it set up currently to play both chords and single notes. On the organa sneak peek video, (I attached below at 0:20) you can hear the chords comping behind the solo, both being played by the Organa/Melodica, this is the current set up I have. I really do like the reed sound. I did have to tune (5) notes by octave as they were slightly out of tune in that aspect. After playing it for most of the afternoon when I first completed the project, tuning was not bad. Note: I did remove a lot of moisture from the melodica air chamber via the moisture release valve stem and then turned it upside down and removed from the piping. It would be nice to work with other like minded melodica makers. You can grow and improve your skills by learning from others.
    Melodica-Me

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button