The Amazing Melodica! – Tutorial (fragments )

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    jazzman1945
    Participant

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Ready here for our first lesson!

jazzman1945
    Participant
    jazzman1945
    Participant

PS

Site management should find out why periodically links can not be sent.

jazzman1945
    Participant
    Alan Brinton
    Participant

It seems that a very short straight mouthpiece with a round opening would provide the advantages of blowing directly into the melodica but provide a clean “mouth grip”. This would be especially useful with the uppper end Suzukis, as their blow hole opening has space around it where air can escape. I guess a regular straight mouthpiece could be shortened for this purpose. In any case, more attention could be given to mouthpiece design.

Thanks for these tutorial fragments.

jazzman1945
    Participant

Only two years ago I started a dialogue with the Hohner company about the development of additional models of mouthpieces , taking into account the quality of sound production.But as seen, everything remained the same.Only two years ago I started a dialogue with the Hohner company about the development of additional models of mouthpieces , taking into account the quality of sound production. As explained to me, to create something new, require additional investment, but the firm Hohner doesn’t like that.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Plastic fabrication isn’t exactly rocket science.

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Alan, I agree, it’s just plastic! Unfortunately the best Hohner can do is create the Dr. Seuss contraction mouth piece for the silly Airboard Melodica. Please don’t get me started.
    I would love to see a major break through in melodica design, but I think it will come from Japan and not Germany. There is more demand in Japan and they respect the instrument much more there.
    My opinion.
    Melodica-Me

jazzman1945
    Participant

And harp is just a piece of iron , violin is just a piece of wood ; drums have pieces of wood, iron and plastic., iron and plastic. Oops, again plastic! So not serious instrument also!!
    Plastic is widely used for building rockets. and in this area construction workers are serious about polymers . Otherwise, with such an attitudeinstead of missiles in heaven would fly melodics .
    http://www.hccomposite.com/en/sectors/126/
    But seriously, the quality of materials for the instrument also depends on the requirements of customers.But seriously, the quality of materials for the instrument also depends on the requirements of customers. If the melody lovers say so about their own instrument, then what can we require manufacturers; and I do not say about for the most part scornful attitude of musicians to melodica.These people are not even aware that they missed professionally. But not all of these; Bob Stoloff, for example, very quickly grabbed what it is about; and immediately asked for permission to use my teaching video lessons YouTube.

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Jazzman, I think you are missing the point about plastic, in that it is a very easy material to work with, and with 3D printers now available, the research and development should be very easy for manufactures to create a better mouth piece for the melodica.
    Melodica-Me

jazzman1945
    Participant
    Alan Brinton
    Participant

Thanks for the further installment, Jazzman, if I may take a break now from flying my M-32C to the Moon.

In “Melodica Playing Techniques” in the Melodica Technique Forum, Lowboy has discussed and demonstrated the results of some of his innovations that are relevant to this part of the tutorial.

I sometimes use a guitar strap with my Hammond 44. It’s set up for it, of course, and the size of the instrument makes it useful. The whole setup is rather encumbering, however. It’s also worth mentioning here that playing a small melodica such as the Yamaha P-25F or one of the small vintage Hohners encourages flexibility and innovation in how one holds the instrument, which is reflected in Lowboy’s focus on these instruments.

I know that some others do as I sometimes do and balance the spit valve end of the melodica in the palm of the left hand while holding it vertically. The mouth then holds it in balance. This works well with a 32 key melodica. This is part of the beauty of the melodica, that you can hold it however you like and see what feels comfortable at the moment and how the sound is affected or experienced as you play. We see this with Hermeto Pascoal, for whom everything is a serious musical instrument, even a glass of beer or the surface of a pond.

jazzman1945
    Participant

During this time I has revised the holding of melodica – in accordance with the anatomical structure of the arms and shoulders.
    In the end, melodica adapts with both hands simultaneously: left hand adapts shoulder, elbow and wrist for the location of the tool body in all directions, the right hand fits elbow, wrist for the fingers. position on keys.
    These possibilities converted melodica into a totally unique keyboard instrument for musical education, far ahead of the recorder and glockenspiel.
    Exactly this point induce covert resistance officials in some countries ,  who are responsible for children’s music education, ,and who believed that the widespread introduction of melodica in schools can undermine adopted system Carl Orff and Zoltan Kodaly.

jazzman1945
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 82 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button