Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
  • #9688
    Darryn Chiew

    Hi guys, I’m new to the Melodica. I’ve always seen it in the aisle one of the Japanese bookstore chains in my country (Malaysia) –
    Pink Yamaha P-32Ds and have heard of them being used as a music education tool in some elementary schools here, but the price always put me off from taking the plunge.

    I’ve recently acquired a Yamaha P-32C and started reading this forum for more information about the instrument and melodicas in general. I find myself a bit confused with some of the terms such as “trumpet mouthpiece” , “trombone mouthpiece” , “penguin body” etc and was wondering if I missed out a thread or page with a glossary of terms. Anyway, cheers to all. It’s great being part of the community. 🙂

    Alan Brinton

    Hi, Darryn. There is no glossary of terms. By trumpet (or trumbone) mouthpiece is meant one that looks like the mouthpiece of an actual trumpet (or trombone) and can function somewhat like one.

    Some terms are made up humorously, as I did with “penguin body.” At the time we had an active member who had posted a video of himself playing in a penguin suit. I thougt the body of that melodica resembled a penguin so jokingly referred to it that way. I am especially guilty of making terms up, another reason to not take what I say seriously.

    Don’t be shy about asking, and welcome to Melodicadom!

    Darryn Chiew

    Ah! thanks Alan for clearing that up! “Penguin Body” seems to be a pretty apt term to use, though! I shall be sticking to that for now.

    Looking forward to learn more as I go along.


Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button