Suzuki W-37 Wooden keyboard Harmonica Professional Model

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Melodica-Me
    Participant

I would love to get a few opinions from fellow melodica players on the Suzuki W-37. Throughout the years I have collect quite a bit of melodicas and for the most parts have been very happy with what I have purchased. I am currious to know about the Suzuki W-37 wooden keyboard harmonica, “well that was a lot of words”. I am not sure if anyone on here owns one that can shed a little light on its performance, tone etc. With a price tag of over $1,600.00 USD, the plunge for me is going to be met with a little apprehension. While this is would not be the most expensive melodica I would purchased, it would be the most expensive melodica with multi reed plates and not individual reeds. I am not sure what the cost of these reed plates would be in comparison to other Suzuki 37 key Melodeons that are similar (Suzuki Pro 37v2) in design less the beautiful wooden keys and case. I would really like to know if the wood case and keys is a major design advantage in sound or is it just up another level or two or possibly higher. I follow a few melodica players from Japan that play the W-37 and while their performances are great unfortunately “You Tube” does not provide the highest of fidelity especially in a live performance to make a good comparison. They appear to perform quite well and definitely look awesome.
    Melodica-Me

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-wooden-keyboard-harmonica-W-37-Special-Professional-model-from-Japan/123066394415?rt=nc&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D44040%26meid%3D2937f105b2b24bf686e4dd7dabb292ba%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D3%26sd%3D263597501061%26itm%3D123066394415&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Alan Brinton
    Participant

It is a beautiful instrument. If it plays and sounds like a Pro 37, which is what I suspect, I can see buying one for $400-500, for the look and feel of it, but not for over a thousand dollars. So I too am interested in hearing opinions about the W-37 from anyone here who has one. I think lots of people were fooled by the hype about the Mylodica, with whose sound and workmanship I was sorely disappointed.

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Hey Alan, I agree with you in regards to the Mylodica and the hype that comes with it. The wooden case in some sort helps but not enough to say it is an amazing innovation in melodicas? as for the W-37, it is Suzuki so the level of quality will certainly be there especially in their pro models. It has always made me wonder that for the cost of some of the higher cost melodions you would think that the case would be of better quality to support such an expensive instruments. I don’t even use the one that came with the Hammond melodions for fear of damaging it while in transport, but thats me and I probably handle them like a gorilla so you know lol. I would really like to see a side by side comparison between the W-37 and the Pro 37v2 or the Hammond 44 or Hyper. to see if there is a $1,000.00 USD difference. Hey Suzuki! how about sending me a W-37 for an honest and accurate comparison video, heck I will compare it to any of my melodicas I own, and I promise to send it back when I am done, well maybe lol.
    Melodica-Me

Alan Brinton
    Participant

I’ll bet some of those Japanese players have received complementary instruments. I would hope so. Some of them, like Akeo (pianonymous), are really excellent players whose judgment would count, though it could be compromised by being connected with the promotion of the new models.

I agree fully about Suzuki’s quality control on the high end melodicas. Among those models, the Pro 37v2 is the one about which I have somewhat less enthusiasm about the sound. Maybe a wood housing takes the edge that I don’t like off.

I do like the acoustic Hammond 44 a lot. I guess I keep saving it for a later stage in the development of my playing.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

A skilled player, but I don’t like this rendition of Autumn Leaves at all. He makes it sound like a polka. Maybe for that reason the instrument sounds like an accordion.

Melodica-Me
    Participant

I think that is Satoshi Tokuda? He is a very good performer, I have seen this advertisement before. I have requested friendship with him on Facebook, if he responds I will ask him some questions and hopefully he can share some light on these beauties.
    Melodica-Me

Melodica-Me
    Participant

In speaking with Satoshi Tokuda he shed a little light on the W-37 on the first set of questions and wait to hear on my comparison questions.

Hello Oscar ,? I’m happy to see your message.
    I would like to answer about Suzuki W-37.
    The instrument have natural sound and good harmony with strings instruments.
    It doesn’t have big loud sound.
    But,
    I recommend it , if you want to play with silent sound between pp-pf.

I will share as he responds or if I can get him to join us to discuss the W-37 here on Melodica World that would even be better.
    Melodica-Me

Alan Brinton
    Participant

That’s good. The volume must be muted somewhat by the closely fitted wooden case without venting.

Here are some of the specifications: Material: Mahogany (Cover), Rosewood · Beech (Keyboard · Surface), Phosphor Bronze (reeds), ABS (Resin Part). Dimensions: Body: 502 × 128 × 65 mm. Weight: 1100 g. The Pro-37v2 weighs 1000g.

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Phosphorus bronze reeds just like the Hammond 44. I would assume that the wood would absorb some of the sound as wood normally does. I do not see any views of the actual rear of the keyboard and do not see any vent holes so I can only assume that the sound comes from between the keys and at the rear of the keys. The Hammond 44 and hyper have vent holes so there is plenty of volume. Just how low level it is. Though the volume level dose not really bother me. If you consider the Clavietta’s volume which is low the sound can still be amplified if needed. My Diamanté Wind Vox #001 is less than than that of the clavietta and the #002 version is even less. They were designed to be used with amplification and special effects so not a big deal for me. Now if I wanted to play in an acoustic group outdoors I would really consider the output.
    Melodica-Me

pianonymous
    Participant

comperison movie

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Thank you Pianonymous for your comparison of the W-37. I was surprised that I did not hear a big difference in the W-37. Did you purchase the W-37 or was it a loner for the video? also how bad was the smell and what did it smell like?
    Melodica-Me

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Thank you, Akeo! Let us know if you post anything more on the W-37 in Japanese on your blog. We can use Google Translation.

Daren once jokingly suggested that perhaps all melodicas actually sound the same. I’m more surprised that both the Pro 37 and the W-37 sound so similar to the older School 34. I have one of those.

pianonymous
    Participant

Hi, Oscar.
    >>Did you purchase the W-37 or was it a loner for the video?
    No, my friend presented for me. (Indefinite lending)

>>also how bad was the smell and what did it smell like?
    Smell comes not from body, but from keys.
    (Maybe kind of Painting, antiseptic, coating.)

pianonymous
    Participant

Hi, Alan.
    Okay I’m going to write more review.

By the way, I took a lot of pictures inside of W-37 and Pro-V2.
    Please check it and enjoy.
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1GESsP8LCDwUo04mBwXHmjdsSEed7mfqe?usp=sharing

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Thanks Akeo, you have a good friend to lend you the W-37. Also great pictures thank you for sharing and definitely want to read your review.:)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button