Suzuki MIDI Melodion

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Melodica-Me
    Participant

So here are a few pictures of my Suzuki Midi Melodion recently purchased. Although it is called a Melodion, it does not produce sound without a sound module, Midi Keyboard or Computer with Midi interface. My goal is to purchase a sound sampling module and record many melodicas sounds and creat a library of Melodica sound files so I can play and compare different melodicas. I am not sure if this will work and how the final sound will reproduce but it has been something I have wanted to do for a while. I will post at a later date.
    Melodica-Me
    Monsters of Melodica

Suzuki Midi Melodion

Posted by Monsters of Melodica on Friday, February 5, 2016

Shannon M
    Participant

Hi MM,

Could you share the background of this instrument? I would love to have a midi melodica, but fear they are rare as hen’s teeth. I didn’t know that Suzuki made one.

thanks,

Shannon

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Hello Shannon, I have been looking for information on the Suzuki Midi Melodion and there is very little out there. I know that it was out for a while but did not catch on as expected by mainstream keyboardist. I will continue to look for more informations as I, like you would like to know more about it. I did read on a website that it was a monophonic keyboard, this is not correct! I was able to play chords with no problem. I also read that the Suzuki Midi Melodion had a dummy mouth piece and that it did not work. Again this is not true. There is a switch if you want to turn off the breath controller and use it as a keyboard if you want, but the mouth piece does work and vibrato can be created through the mouth. The Suzuki MM also has a sustain button and a vibrato button that work fine. I was able to connect it to my kurzweil PC 88 very easily. My Kurzweil has a great piano and organ sound but unfortunately all other sounds are kind of weak. I am looking for a sampler to sample and save Melodica, accordion and accordina sounds to play as an experiment. I am also planning on a good organ Midi module I can place on the pedal board. Suzuki Hammond makes one that I am considering for that classic B3 sound. The Suzuki can be connected to modular synthesizer with a Midi module for you synthesizer aficionados. My Kurzweil has an accordion, harmonica and bandoneon sounds built in that though weak in quality of tone, they gave me a good idea on how it would work. I am sure I will be able to use this as planned.

Melodica-Me

Shannon M
    Participant

Hi MM,

Thanks for the detailed response. Is the B3 pedal you are talking about the “Leslie” pedal? I’ve tried playing “Green Onions” on the melodica, but it just doesn’t quite work. I would love to have a B3 sound with a melodica. I am going to have to keep my eyes out for midi instrument.

Thanks,

Shannon

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Hello Shannon, the B9 pedal is by electro harmonics and it has several organ sounds.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/B9Organ?adpos=1o1&creative=55282421161&device=m&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CJSVzeD86soCFQ6naQodnmEPrQ

I use it combined with the Leslie rotating speaker pedal

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LesliePed?adpos=1o3&creative=55282474801&device=m&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CO7QvKT96soCFQyNaQodzvwA8w

And my Hammond 44 Melodion. start with the B9 pedal as it has a modulation knob that simulates the tone wheel. And see if you like it. JHS has the sells the same pedal modified so you can use an expression pedal (nice feature) I bought mine a couple of years ago before this mod. You need to open all the volume on the Melodica to get a better attack on the pedal. The Leslie pedal sounds great with the B9 you can use it by it self but it sounds more like a lowery organ. I did this on the Monsters of Melodica recording “Mr PC” on the solo.

There is also a C9 pedal that is more Rock oriented if you like that organ sound.

There are several rotating speaker pedals on the market with a wide range of pricing. I liked the Leslie pedal de cause it has the adjustable speed start and slow down knob that makes it sound more realistic.

Hope this helps
    Melodica-Me

Shannon M
    Participant

Thanks for the links, MM. That B9 looks tempting. I will have to wait until I get home to listen to the recording. I’m thinking the B9 and the Leslie through my Blues Deluxe will sound pretty sweet. Have you used the pedals just with your Hammonds, or have you tried them with micing your other instruments? Curious if there is any difference. Also have you used these live, or only for recording?

Thanks,

Shannon

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Hello Shannon, I only use it with my hammond 44 and yes I have used it live. My pedal board is a work in progress so I am constantly changing and adding new pedals. The one issue with pedals is that you need to remember setting if you have several specific sounds. Right now the pedal I have become very fond us is my Roger Mayer’s RM-58 Compressor limiter pedal, which has tighten up my sound quite nicely. Though a bit expensive I have tried many and found this pedal to work best with “my” melodica sound. That said, the sound you are looking for may not require an expensive pedal. Back to the B9, when used with a microphone/pick up the B9 picks up many unwanted sounds and fluctuates between octaves so direct input is best. The B9 is primaraliy used with guitar. Guitar pick ups are a lot better for this than the Hammond, but it works well. I have used the B9 pedal with my kurzweil and works fine especially if you go full wet and keep the original Kurzweil organ sound off. It works fantastic with the Hohner Electra Melodica. When I am done with a few huge projects I am currently working on, as mentioned I plan getting a sampler and the B3 sound is one I would like to hear for the Suzuki Midi melodion. If at all I may go to the Hammond Draw bar Midi expansion module that will give me the B3 Sound with no issues. So much gear so little time.
    Melodica-Me.

Bruno Travi
    Participant

Hello MM,

You know if the Suzuki MIDI Melodion transmits MIDI Controller Message Nº2 (Breath Controller) or Aftertouch Messages?

Look this video of accordionist Richard Galliano, in the 3:11 time using a Module Hammond, it sounds great !

Bruno

Richard Galliano Hammond MIDI Module

Bruno Travi
    Participant

Time in the vídeo is 1:50

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Bruno, yes this is the unit I was looking at for the Suzuki SMW-1000. It has a great sound. There are other units like the Ob3, Ob3-2, the Viscount D9e and the Ferrofish B4000+. All great sounds. I have not gotten to much into the Midi Melodion, but hope to do so soon. The instructions that it came with are in Japaneese so I am not sure what all the micro switches are for, but hope to soon with help from Rotan and Akeo here on Melodicaworld who are helping with the translation.
    Melodica-Me

Shannon M
    Participant

OK, MM. You have left me hanging. 8^) In your last response, you said the sound I am looking for may not require an expensive pedal. What did you mean by that? Other options?

Thanks,

Shannon

Shannon M
    Participant

MM,

Found this website, shows 1989 production for SMW-1000:

https://www.suzuki-music.co.jp/information/10635/

Alan may like this site as well (probably already found it)

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Hi Shannon, yes there are several other options that sound great for blues and pop style music. The one I liked for the”sound” I was looking for just cost more. I could have purchase a less expensive pedal but when you get hooked on a specific sound you like sometimes you have to pony up and pay the price. The sound may not be what you want and a less expensive unit will give you the sound you are looking for.
    Melodica-Me

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Shannon, 1989 wow did not think the unit was that old. Do you know how long the Midi Melodion was in production?
    Melodica-Me

Alan Brinton
    Participant

I’m familiar with this site; I think it was Bruno who first identified it. But I see that it has been recently updated. It is informative though it does not include all models.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button