Suzuki melodion M-36

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Andre
    Participant
    Daren
    Keymaster

Thanks for this Andre, haven’t seen it before – I’ll add it to the database

Lowboy
    Participant

That looks like a beauty. I swear I saw Augustus Pablo playing one of those on a YouTube video today.

Speaking of unusual melodicas, I found what appears to be a 1970s vintage red/orange Hohner Cassotto 26 on a European auction website. I have made arrangements to buy it (at what cost to my marriage I may never know).

A few weeks ago, I took out the cassottos I purchased in the spring, and as it turns out, they sound pretty darn good in the blues. Really good. Like “I can’t believe it good.” So what was I suppose to do? Let a small production run, special edition RED/ORANGE Hohner cassotto just walk away? I had no choice in the matter did I?

Regards,

Lowboy

Andre
    Participant

Thanks a lot for your response Lowboy!
    I also thought this was the one used by Augustus Pablo in some videos, but I wasn´t sure!
    So now that I know that it sounds great I would like to buy it, the problem is that I´m already negotiating to buy a honer piano 36, and i cannot afford to buy the two right now.
    I found that hohner in a second hand website, the problem is that it is not in my country, I will have to trust the seller´s word that he will send me the melodica after I pay! But I will take a chance because he is making a good price.

Andre
    Participant

Lowboy some weeks ago I was surfing in European second hand sites, searching for a melodica, and I remember seeing that red cassotto, it also catched my eye! Hope you can get it for a good price!

Lowboy
    Participant

Hi Andre,

I purchased the 40-year-old red cassotto for $70 US dollars plus shipping from Austria. Given the prices of today’s professional melodicas, I thought I did pretty good. Being a cassotto makes it rare. Being a red cassotto makes it really rate. The real risk will be its condition.

I think I will be alright as the melodica and case looked like brand new, and the owner tested it for leaks. But if smells like an attic and is out of tune, then it will not be a bargin. I will have to put hours into it to make it playable.

I will give you a report when I receive it.

Regards,

Lowboy

Andre
    Participant

Ok Lowboy, even if it is out of tune, I think is a good price, red cassotto is rare 🙂

Andre
    Participant

I have bought a Hohner 36 from Spain (I live in Portugal)for 90€ plus shipping. I´m still waiting, but I think it is a good price. It seems that it is great condition! 🙂 I also hope that it is in tune… tuning 36 keys is quite boring lol!

Lowboy
    Participant

Hi Andre,

I think you will like the Hohner Piano 36. It is one of my favorite melodicas to play. At first, I loved it. Then I thought it was only okay. But now that I have played and compared most of the name brand melodicas, I am back to loving it again for my my style of music. Augustus Pablo can be seen playing it on a few videos.

It has a rich full tone without being to brassy, and it has a slightly dark timbre to the sound as well. It is hard to explain. But I have also discovered the metal Hohner Piano 26. More on that in a few minutes.

Regards,

Lowboy

Andre
    Participant

Hi lowboy
    I just got the hohner 36. Man, it as a great sound… But as I am used to play the small 26 I´m having a hard time playing this melodica, it is big and heavy, so now i am practicing it every day to see if I get used to it. For me the major problem is that I cannot see the keys very well… But with time I guess I will master it. Anyway I love the sound of it, great quality, better then the 26, although the 26 also sounds great…This melodicas with brass reeds are great. I also noticed that it as a slow response on the lower keys, but on the other keys this is the fastest melodica that I have played.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button