Suzuki M-36B … "B"

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Participant

I’m looking to buy my first melodica and will probably grab the Suzuki M37c but came across this older M36B model. I can’t find any info on it and it looks different from the M36. Anyone have any idea about it? Here’s a pic:

m36b

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Hi, Andrew.

The M-36B was introduced in 1985 and was replaced by the M-36C in 1998. The original M-36 was introduced in the early 1960s, was replaced by another M-36 (A, I guess we can call it) around 1974. The models in this series are all pretty good and are more like the M-32 models than like the M-37 models. I own and have played most of the M-32 and M-36 models, as well as the M-37C. They’re all pretty good but none of them have quite as good a sound, in my opinion, as today’s M-37C or M-32C. I find the M-37C to have a slightly “ringier” sound than the M-32C. So my preference among all of these models is the current M-32C. But you can’t go wrong with either the M-32C or the M-37C. Two possible reasons for buying the M-36B, which is fairly rare, would be (1) lower cost in comparison with, say, the M-37C; and (2) the enjoyment of having and playing a vintage instrument. I would value an M-36B in good condition (all notes playing, no leakage, and not too scratched up) at $50-60 (US) delivered. If you found one at a Japanese auction site, a winning bid would probably be under $20, but delivery would be about $40. But a vintage instrument is probably not the best choice for a first melodica.

Alan

Andrew
    Participant

Thanks Alan, what a brilliant, thorough post. Thanks so much for your time and input. Looks like I’ll go for the modern version based on your info. Interesting about the M-32C, I’ll look into that, although the extra range would please me. The M-36B I am looking at is about $60 delivered so you were bang on there.

Andrew
    Participant

PS I am looking for more of an accordion sound (heresy!) for a special project rather than a harmonica sound so would love to hear your recommendations for the appropriate instrument. I play keys and other things although this will be my first melodica (if you don’t count the Andes I bought some time ago – interesting instrument).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button