Suzuki M-36

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Alan Brinton
    Participant

I hope we can have discussion about the various M-36 models.

In recent conversation with Adam under Playability and Viability, I posted a photo of my recently acquired M-36 and said I thought it was a N-36A or B. I an convinced now, though that it is the more recent M-36C (1998), mainly because it has a small black bladder. The bladder has been covered over by a previous owner, who also broke off the low Eb reed. The sound is otherwise very good, which makes me wonder how much difference the bladder made.

"                               "

Alan Brinton
    Participant

“M” 36 that should have been.

Notice silver colored amalgam toward right end covering torn off black bladder.

The evenness of the discoloring on the right end of the reed plate suggests to me that this instrument has not been played a lot, while moisture was left accumulated at the other end. not sure abut this.

Snapped off reed.

Lowboy
    Participant

I want to know the true purpose of these rubber bladders which only seem to be found in some models of Suzukis and no where else in the melodica world.

Lowboy

Alan Brinton
    Participant

I think Melodica-Me understands this, from what he said in earlier discussion of the bass melodions (Suzuki and Hammond).

Adam Tombs
    Participant

Thanks for posting these pics Alan. Very interesting for me to see what this model has inside.

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Lowboy, the bladder is like a reservoir, it hold air and helps with the lower notes that require more air than the higher notes. The Hohner Basso (bass Melodica) also has this bladder. My basso had a pin hole and leaked bad. I put a thin layer of latex caulk (not silicone) over the hole and it did the job nicely. Soon after a new hole appeared, just an old melodica. :(. By the way I will be posting a new video soon where the basso is sort of featured. If you have played a bass melodica you already know that it is not an easy melodica to play.
    Melodica-Me

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Alan, the reed plate does not look to sanitary. It looks like the previous owner did not ever clean it or clear the moisture. Because the plastic parts did not get discolord and the metal parts look almost beyond repair. Can you tune it? That sure is a lot of build up.
    Melodica-Me

Alan Brinton
    Participant

It’s not much out of tune, surprisingly, Melodica-Me. It looks like it could be tuned, but there’s not much point in that with the reed broken off, and I’m not sure how much of a future this melodica has. I guess I’ll keep my eye open for a good deal on another M-36, an earlier one like Adam’s if possible. This one is pretty close to the M-37C, which I already have.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Here is my second M-36, which I’m calling “M-36 Blue.” I believe it is the second Suzuki M-36, marketed 1974-85. It arrived in excellent condition, though without the trumpet mouthpiece — fortunately I have another one that fits. It arrived with loose screws and missing brass screw receptacles. (This has come up before, but the exterior screws of all the metal tray Suzuki melodions engage a small, flat brass insert. Some of these inserts fall right out when the melodion is apart and turned upside down, and they are easily lost. Fortunately, I have some extra screws and inserts from my other, nonfunctional M-36.) I am delighted with the M-36 Blue.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

I found that with this model, after removing the end pieces, I had to pry the bottom of the metal tray outward and rotate the melodica out, rather than sliding it out one of the ends.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Notice that the top four reeds are on a separate plate. My guess is that the other reed plates are from a 32 key model, with the small plate added to reach 36.

Here, M-36 Blue (A?) on the bottom, my other newer M-36 (B?) on the top. Notice the differences in the reed plates. Also, notice in earlier photo that the M-36 Blue has a bladder, which is intact and in good condition.

Adam Tombs
    Participant

How does it play Alan?

Cheers

Adam

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Nicely, but I want to make some comparisons. My other M-36 is working except for the one missing reed, and I want to compare with it and with a Hohner Piano 36. Maybe I’ll create some short clips and have an identification/preference contest. If so, I’ll resist the temptation to record them all with the same melodica and see who bites.

Lowboy
    Participant

Hi Alan,

Based on the interior design and/or listening, is the sound being directed out through the keyboard or out through the holes on the edge of those old Suzukis.

Regards,

Lowboy

Alan Brinton
    Participant

I couldn’t tell on a 36 key melodica, or even on a 25. I don’t really understand from the inner configuration. But I have 25 key Suzuki and Yamaha that I’m ready to send you to test out.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button