suszuki M37 clean mechanism

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    sparkcle
    Participant

hi,

my melodica keys stick one to the other, cause i played it lot whithout cleaning the inside.
    I tried to open it with no result
    how do you clean the mechanism?
    is there a way to clean without taking the whole thing to pieces.

thanks a lot
    all the best
    sparkcle

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Some of us have experimented with filling melodicas with water, sparkcle. I have done it with a couple of Suzukis, though not with the M37. Whatever you do is at your own risk, but here is what I would do in your situation. I would fill the melodica with warm water, holding it vertically and pouring into the mouthpiece hole. I would then blow into it and work all the keys. You can do this alternately with the spit valve open and also with it closed. Water will come out of the keyboard. Work most of the water out, repeating this process 2-3 times and then continuing to work the keys and blow into the melodica getting as much water out as you can. At first the keys won’t play, but eventually all of them will play. You may also spin the melodica around with your extended arm, holding it by one end and then the other. Then store it on end with the mouthpiece hole down. It may take a couple of days for it to get dried out to where it plays normally. I have had no subsequent problems with the melodicas that I’ve done this to. If this doesn’t eliminate the sticking, I’d try soaking the melodica in water (or 50/50 mixture of water and 3% hydrogen peroxide), for an hour or two.

It sounds to me like your problem is not from lack of cleaning the inside of the melodica. It’s more likely from a lot of dust in the air getting into your keyboard or from something being spilled on the keyboard. Some sticky material has gotten in between the keys.

Adam Tombs
    Participant

I had good luck cleaning melodica keys with rubbing alcohol (isopryl alcohol) and cu tips, without resorting to water. I am a bit of a chicken when it comes to using water to clean musical instruments but I could see that it would work with plastic melodicas. To get that water completely out of the instrument, silicon gel like the little packets you get in jars of vitamins, or rice will absorb al the moisture.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

The instructions with some of the old Suzukis say not to use alcohol, but I also have used it without an apparent problem.

Adam Tombs
    Participant

Imagine the horror of cleaning your melodica with something that was too harsh and watching it melt in front of you! Put that thought behind me!

I have found that eucalyptus oil on cu-tips is great for cleaning adhesive or really sticky stuff off too. it does no damage at all but you need to follow up with the isopryl alcohol or some soap and water to clean the film of oil residue that remains after getting the sticky stuff off. Again, all applied with various swabs or cu-tips….

Lowboy
    Participant

I spray alcohol from a spray bottle on mouthpieces while they are attached to my melodicas (for disinfection purposes). Alcohol often gets all over the ends of the melodicas and the keys. I wipe it off. Have not had any problems yet.

Every week or so, I collect all my mouthpieces and throw them in the dishwasher. I worry a bit about exposing 50-year-old plastic repeated to modern soaps and high temperature water and drying cycles. However, after nearly a year for some of them, I have not experienced any problems. However, none of my mouthpieces have glued joints.

Lowboy

Alan Brinton
    Participant
    sparkcle
    Participant

Hi,
    thanks a lot for all for your answers, i’ll try this method on my old hohner before the suzuki, i think it might be a problem of sugar or food part as i play it oftenly after breakfast. As you say some sticky material has gotten in between the keys. Anyway it seems pretty hard to have access to the inside of the suzuki M37.
    all the best
    Sprakcle

Alan Brinton
    Participant

The M-37C is unusually hard to take apart because the metal tray has to be sprung open to take the innards out and then, even harder, to put them back in. And you also have to watch out to be sure the little inserts the screws screw into don’t fall out. I just took mine apart today to take photos. If you’re having pancakes and maple syrup and then playing, I’d like to join you for breakfast, though the food stuff could be a problem for the melodica! But I think a good rinse with warm water should solve the problem.

sparkcle
    Participant

yes Alan you’re welcome we’re in france near Bordeaux we will cook you a breakfast if you come around,
    thanks again hot water is the simplest way and not too harsh
    best
    skrapcle

Alan Brinton
    Participant

I have been in Bordeaux beforesparkle, and it is beautiful. If I will ever go again, I don’t know, but if so I will take you up on the offer of breakfast!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button