Spare parts!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Henry Lowengard
    Participant

Hi Folks! Just dropping in here!
    My Mylodica had tuning issues for years. I’d been retuning them but it just wasn’t sticking, and finally the E4 broke off (may there’s a problem with those E4s?).

The internals are clearly a Yamaha P-37D, and you can get one for about $!00 cheap on eBay right now, which I might do. It might even sound better than the Mylodica!
    But I’d also like to know if there are compatible reed blocks for it. There are a few things I might want to try if I had some spare blocks, like kind of radically tuning it in just intonation. Of course, I could just pig out on a few cheapo $40 melodicas. Decisions, decisions!.
    I’d also like to know about alternatives for the hose. Are there more flexible ones, shorter, longer? and firm mouthpieces in different lengths so I can see the keys?
    Thanks in advance!

Daren
    Keymaster

Hi Henry, are you sure the internals are a P37D? They used to fit Angel melodyhorns, one of the cheapest melodicas available. If it is a P37D, then that’s a step up. You can buy Yamaha reed plates directly from Yamaha, I’ve ordered many in the past. I’ve copied some info from a previous post at the ned of this message

Not sure about the hose lengths…

Orders for Yamaha Instrument spare parts can be obtained from the following locations:

For UK Customer’s: Yamaha UK Spares – 0844 811 1116 (Option 2) or via your local Yamaha Music Dealer.

For Republic Of Ireland Customer’s – Yamaha UK Spares – (0) 15262449 (Option 2) or via your local Yamaha Music Dealer.

The part information that you have requested is below.

W4110210 High section reed plate, no stock but available to order from Japan and the cost is £15.08 Inc of VAT

W4110310 Middle section reed plate, same information as above.

W4110110 Low section reed plate, same information as above.

Handling is £3.60 and you can order with a credit or debit card on the contact number shown above. They will take about 4 weeks to arrive from Japan from order.

The phone number in the U.S. is 888-892-6242 (option #1). I asked about reed plates for the P32D:

Part #’s..backordered 4-6 weeks from the time you order.
    W4040221..low reed plate P32D..$24.28
    W4040231..high reed plate P32D..$24.28

There appear to also be delivery charges, though probably not if you can order through a dealer with a Yamaha account.

Henry Lowengard
    Participant

Thanks for the info! I suppose a p32D high plate would help!
    Another subject: tuning.
    Often these reeds are tuned to A-442Hz or are just off, period. I made a special testing tube that I can use to help play the reed while I go at it with a file. It’s OK , but it’s still a tedious process! Has anyone had success with the “drop of nail polish on the reed” trick? I’d like to avoid scraping the reed as much a possible, and flattening the pitch with nail polish (which itself can be delicately rasped) seems like a good idea!

Daren
    Keymaster

I’m not sure, let us know the outcome if you try it!

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Your platform is probably the Angel Melodyhorn AM-37K3, which is a clone or close copy of the Yamaha P-37D. The parts are pretty much interchangeable, Henry. I know because I experimented with them — See below. The reeds of the Yamaha are more durable and probably hold their pitch better, but the Melodyhorn has a very agreeable sound of its own. A different 37 key model of Melodyhorn may not have the same reed plates. You can probably find an inexpensive AM-37K3 if you watch for a bit on eBay.

Angel Melodyhorn AM-37K3

André Sant’Anna
    Participant

Henry, a few weeks ago I tuned a cheap chinese melodica using the “drop of nail polish on the reed” trick. It works! In fact, I found it much simpler because if the tuning gets too low, just clean the reed with acetone (you can clean a small part of the drop too). However, I suspect that with use, the drop may come off the reed, which in the long run would cause a greater number of tuning processes. In the first days the nail polish left a considerable smell, but then the smell was gone. I think that something to consider is how toxic it can be to use this product on the melodica. Reading about the chemicals used in nail polish, I was startled. Either way, there are less toxic or “green” nail polish models.

I was curious about your testing tube for tuning. What’s it like? Could you share a photo? Thank you!

Henry Lowengard
    Participant

Thanks for the advice, Melodica/Mylodica experts! I wonder if a real P37D would fit in there? I’d probably be pretty happy with just a real P37D!

This blower tool is made out of one of those plastic watering tubes used by florists. I filed open a hole in it and used some excellent self-sticking vinyl-ish plumbing tape to make it possible to get a good enough air seal. It peels off with abuse, but it’s easy to reapply. In this hastily shot picture, the hose connector is pointing the wrong way…obviously, it needs clearance to actually work. I scrape a little, then push this over the reed and blow (staring at the electronic tuner).

Picture of my reed testing tube

Alan Brinton
    Participant

I think a P-37D would fit in there, but it would probably have to be modified. I have the soprano Mylodica, and the Suzuki Melodion in it has the end closed off since there’s no place for a moisture release valve on the Mylodica. You should be able to tell by looking at the Angel that’s been in there.

Henry Lowengard
    Participant

Can you tell which reed plate was replaced?
    Those little screws were hard to unscrew – I had to Dremel new slots in some of them. The plate itself was a fraction of a millimeter too big also – but as a melodica tuner, I’m handy with a file.

Mylodica plate replacement.

Sounds good! I’ve got my E back at least! Good thing they had the middle plate, the upper and lower ones were sold out. I also picked up a new hose because: new hose!

Daren
    Keymaster

So did you fit Yamaha reeds to the Angel? Looks great. How do the new reeds sound compared to the older? Are they brighter?

Henry Lowengard
    Participant

They seem to fit in well with the existing reeds. The brass quality is good and shiny right now! I haven’t checked them for tuning, but I’m going to be more forgiving unless they’re off by more than 8 cents or so. The tuning was a constant problem before.

It takes more air pressure than my Pianica, but that’s always been the case. Someone was asking about gaskets here and I bet fresh gaskets would help a little.

Daren
    Keymaster

Amazing, good to know. Yes, very nice and shiny!

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Thanks for the update, Henry. This tempts me to try replacing the reeds in my Angel Melodyhorn with Yamahas.

Henry Lowengard
    Participant

I bet a real P-37D would have better mechanics and gaskets. There was one for $100 on Ebay that I was tempted to get! But I restrained myself.

I used to play melodica with a pickup bluegrass band every week (?!) but that of course isn’t happening and the restaurant where that was has permanently closed.

Antonio Freixas
    Participant

Henry, when I saw your photo of your blower tool, I had to laugh because I had just thought of building something like that myself. My wife and I joke that when I dream up something clever, it “magically” appears somewhere on the web.

I haven’t built a thing. My idea was to create a small, acrylic box (because they are easy to glue and you can see through them and cut and glue a silicon gasket for the seal (because I have silicon casting material). I would have to make sure to use the right kind of glue to attach silicon to acrylic.

It’s nice to hear that you have yours working. Wouldn’t it be nice if someone would sell something like this?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button