Sound Test Hohner Professional 36 & Wooden Yamaha P-37D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Bruno Travi
    Participant

Bruno Travi
    Participant
    Alan Brinton
    Participant

Very nice, Bruno. Both sound very good. Have you compared the wooden P-37D with a regular one?

Daren
    Keymaster

Thanks for this Bruno. The wooden one sounds very smooth and warm. Is this one you’ve made yourself?

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Nice tone Bruno, what kind of wood did you use?
    Melodica-Me

Bruno Travi
    Participant

Hello everyone.

The case was made by a friend who makes musical instruments.
    The wood is from Amazonas and is known by several names; palisangre, palisandro, jacaranda.
    Soon I’ll make a comparison with plastic and wood case.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1I4WRon9blLWFN3TFpkcW85SUE/view?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1I4WRon9blLMXlTR2NEaWFpVjg/view?usp=sharing

Bruno Travi
    Participant

I will try to fill the inside with cork sheet , see what happens

Bruno Travi
    Participant

The idea is to find a sound color near to Profesional…

Bruno Travi
    Participant

I want to try with harder wood, I think this may increase the mid frequencies (800 Hz around) and attenuate the high: Daaaark Siiiide… Sorry ! Daaaark Sooooound !!

Lowboy
    Participant

Hi Bruno,

The wooden case makes the melodica look great. As soon as you put a nice looking wooden case on a melodica, it create a perception that elevates the instrument to a new level.

Not to mention that the sound from the wooden-cased melodica was noticeably sweet and smooth.

Imagine if melodica makers created a beautiful wooden cabinet and then sold several types of the innards that you just installed in the case. No moisture on the wood, but you still got some benefit from having a wooden case, perhaps with a resonating chamber.

Regards,

Lowboy

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Well, the stock P-37D is, to my ear, noticeably sweet and smooth. So I look forward to a sound comparison by Bruno. Also, though, I’m curious as to the extent to which his case is wooden. I can’t tell whether the bottom is the original or made of wood. A wood top and end pieces seem less likely to change the sound, but can greatly enhance the look and feel of the instrument.

Daren
    Keymaster

It looks like its all wood to me Alan. Here’s the pics for easy comparison:

wooden melodica

wooden melodica

Very similar construction design to the one I made out of ply wood:

Plyeood P32D melodica

Daren
    Keymaster

Bruno – why add corksheet?

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Oops! I somehow overlooked those photos.

Bruno Travi
    Participant

Hi Daren,
    I’ll use corksheet to emulate a hardwood, which have higher density. I hope that this will reduce the high frequencies.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button