Skylark

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Joanna Funk
    Participant

So after your kind suggestions, I bought a midi cable and managed to edit a midi file. It was a thrill to delete a block of data, and move a piano note up and down etc. But no midi editing on this track. What I DID use was REVERB – wow!!! I went all out and chose the “auditorium” preset. Loud and echoey! I like it! I tried Compression too but everything went quiet, so more homework needed. I played a few chords this time, would love to achieve something like a mouth organ effect one day. TQ, Joanna

Skylark

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Too much reverb, in my opinion, Joanna, for a tune like Skylark.

Joanna Funk
    Participant

Okay Alan. Thanks

Joanna Funk
    Participant

Here is a second take.
    Skylark #2

Joanna Funk
    Participant

I might do a third version tomorrow without a mouthpiece, to see if I can make it sound more personal. Keep the same piano and reverb setting. (Love weekends!)

Gianluca Barbaro
    Participant

Hi Joanna,
    the sound is much better than the previous version! I love this piece, well done! The rhythmic combination between piano and melodica works well too now!

If I may, each effect plugin should have a “dry” and a “wet” fader: when using a reverb effect, the less is the dry signal, the more the sound steps away from the front. If possibile, I would put more dry signal to the melodica because now it sounds a little bit unfocused. Also, maybe you could raise the piano a little bit too.

gl

Joanna Funk
    Participant

Taking Gianluca’s advice and putting reverb and a little “dry” to the piano (same track). Then same amount of reverb with a little more “dry” to the melodica (new track, no mouthpiece). I’ll stop now, before we are all Skylarked out. Thank you everyone.
    Skylark #3

Alan Brinton
    Participant

I’ll have to listen to these variations carefully tomorrow. Joanna, you are the student every teacher longs to have.

Joanna Funk
    Participant

How not to be like this, Alan? It’s melodica uni! ?

Alan Brinton
    Participant

#2 is better and #3 much better, in my humble opinion — a lot of improvement in the melodica sound and, to my ear, in the timing.

Joanna Funk
    Participant

Hi Alan,
    Thank you for taking the time to listen. I’m relieved you think #3 is better than #2 ?. It’s a bonus to be learning about effects too. (TQ Gianluca). Love this instrument. Joanna

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button