single reed plates for melodica

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Stephen
    Participant

It seems Harmonikas Louny in Czech is making single reed plates for melodicas and accordinas.
    http://www.harmonikas.cz/en/reeds-for-mouth-key-harmonicas#obsah
    “Reeds are made from anti –oxygen Ni-brass using electroerosive technology and with minimum air consumption. Tongues are grinded from stainless- steel with tensile strength 2000 N/mm2”

They seem to have extended their range of products.
    Anyone has used these single reed plates for melodica construction or repair?

Daren
    Keymaster

Yes, I know these reeds. A friend of mine bought several sets for an accordina project. They’re very good quality, and have the advantage of being all one size – smaller than some of the lower Vibrandoneon/Binci reeds

Shannon M
    Participant

Any idea of their cost?

Alan Brinton
    Participant

I wonder if the melodica shown at the Harmonikas site exists in actuality as opposed to just in concept.

Let’s face it, the technology exists to create a standard melodica (perhaps like the one pictured) that is far superior to any melodica that has heretofore existed, one that is superior to the best, which are relatively ancient: the Clavietta, the Hohner Professional 36, and maybe a few others. This isn’t rocket science, as they say.

Binyomin
    Participant

Thanks! This looks like it might be another way to get replacement reeds for my vibrandoneon, given Victoria’s horrid customer service on this and the lack of response from the reed manufacturers themselves.

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Binyomin, I have been trying to get a C5 for my Vibrandoneon with no luck. My accordion repair guru has tons of reeds but not one sounds like the one I need for the Vibrandoneon. Has anyone had any luck getting them? I sent Martin Muller but he has not responded yet to my inquiry. I don’t speak German so if anyone has contact with him and can get some information I would really appreciate the help.
    Melodica-Me

Quetscher
    Participant

Alan,

if I’m not mistaken this should be a Bohema melodica; the picture seems to indicate that they use this manufacturer’s reeds for their instruments but I’ve never got hold of a Bohema so I can’t confirm.

Does anyone know in what tonal range they produce reeds?

Alan Brinton
    Participant

http://www.harmonikas.cz/admin/files/ModuleText/17-assortment-diapason.pdf

That seems right, Quetscher. I thought it looked like a Bohema. This company is in the Czech Republic and the Bohema was made in Czechoslovakia. But that would have been prior to 1993, and Bohema melodicas wouldn’t still be in production, would they?

Stephen
    Participant

All this sounds great, the advantage of the reed plates being all the same size. Opens perspectives for standardisation of reed block sizes.
    Harmonikas Louny also make concertina reeds and reed plates (I suppose also with spark erosion technology?) with top quality (?). See DIX concertina reeds on their web page.
    This could be sweet music into the ears of amateur concertina makers.
    I just miss a pdf list with all their product prices in Euro in one nice overview.

By the way, they also make other customized parts: bellows (number of falts can be chosen, sizes, edge reinforcements, …), reed Combs, … . Even non music precision parts in metals.
    Suppose all of this with modern technology.
    I have read some small scale accordion makers in Switserland and Germany are also using CNC and maybe spark erosion technology for precision work at customer’s demand.

All this could be a help for amateurs that can try to make their own invented free reed music instruments, when some parts are too difficult to make for an individuel DIY at home.

Let’s hope more CNC, 3D printing, etc workshops will be created, and also in the center or Western parts of Europe.

In Russia I hear they also experiment with trying to reduce thickness of the reedplates in accordions to save weight in mini accordions, but I have no technical information on this subject.

What I would like to see is mass produced metal parts for accordinas. Like for mouth harps, modal system parts that can be replaced in mouth harmonicas. Would like to see the same modular systems for melodicas and accordinas.
    I hear of prototypes made in Finland of a 32 button accordina like instrument of 400 grams total weight (compared to my A Borel 44 buttons accordina of 1 kilogram)… very promising. Can’t wait to see this in a video. Has a Borel like metal “wind chamber” and metal sides. Reeds probably lying flat in horizontal position, just 21 cm long…

Stephen
    Participant

Here is a photo of this Finnish button melodica prototype:
    http://www.salmelainstruments.com/

Looks beautiful and very compact.
    The mouthpiece opening is on the side, an extra mouthpiece could be attached if wanted.
    First prototypes were all wood, but moisture… and a later prototype is in progress.

Fascinating world of DIY music instrument makers…
    Mini accordinas for backpackers ?

Daren
    Keymaster

What a beautiful looking instrument.

salmela accordina

Lowboy
    Participant

Daren, is this a real instrument? It surely is a beautiful one. If it is real, do we know the cost?

Lowboy

Lowboy
    Participant

I answered my own questions by reading Stephen’s post and visiting the website. Lowboy

Daren
    Keymaster

And here’s the original wooden one:

wooden melodica

Stephen
    Participant

The photo of this wooden version was on facebook, posted in 2011. I’ve heard this project has been going on from 2010 to 2015. The wooden version may look beautiful, but the later version with metal sides and bottom is better water/moisture resistant. The Original French accordinas also had metal sides and Bottoms. Only the inside reedblock is wood.

By the way, found a first video of the latest of this Finnish prototype. It starts at 1’10 :

Tatu Salmela ja moottorisahahurmaajat

Short fragment, but it’s a start. Who can find another video with full review of this instrument?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button