Show Us Your Melodica Photos and Artwork–Thread No. 2

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Lowboy
    Participant

Pitch, modulation, filter frequency, loudness contourMelodica photo, photo of melodica

Lowboy
    Participant

Cutoff frequency, noise, filter attackMelodica photo, photo of melodica

Cutoff frequency, noise, filter attack–No photo effectsMelodica photo

Lowboy
    Participant

Yellow melodica with Hammond organ, posterizedYellow Melodica and Hammond Organ

Lowboy
    Participant

Two Great MelodicasTwo Great Melodicas

These are two of the best sounding melodicas at any price. The Hohner 27 is the darkest, smoothest melodica I ever heard. The Suzuki Student 25, so generously provided to me by our own Alan Brinton, is rich and wide in frequencies like a fine accordion, yet always smooth. Both melodicas are in perfect tune and both melodicas play more softly than most, making them perfect for accompanying acoustic guitar. I don’t play them very often, but when played without amplification, they have no peer in my mind.

Lowboy

Daren
    Keymaster

I love this photo!

Alan Brinton
    Participant

I also love this photo, and it’s a timely reminder for me of tne special qualities of the original Piano 27. I’m headed out in the morning for two weeks on the Oregon coast, and by gum I’m taking one along with me to play as I while away my time. And that Suzuki is also something very special. If I could have only one melodica, that would be it. The small keys, from my point of view, are integral to the aesthetic of these two model, to the intimacy of the playing experience.

Joanna Funk
    Participant

Yes it’s a lovely photo. The colour and the shape of them – you can’t help but smile!

Lowboy
    Participant

Recently, I was playing my cement-gray Horner 26, the sister to the claret (red-wine-colored) Horner 27 above. The 26 sounds even smoother and darker than the Horner 27. I forgot about that as it has been a while since I played my 26 and 27 side-by-side. If you want smooth and dark, go with the 26.

A word of caution. This style of Horner melodica is very difficult to service (take apart, tune, and repair). If your going to buy one, ensure it is perfect or ensure you can return it.

Fortunately, there many pre-owned 26s available in good shape.

Lowboy

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Hohner Piano Series 26/27 Models

The series of “Piano” model Hohners came in three stages. This photo shows all three of the Piano 26 models plus a Piano 20. The second one down, to which Lowboy just referred, was the first, introduced in or by 1961. This continued in production through the 1970s, and they vary a bit in color, light gray to dark, and even a very dark wine color as shown in some ads). The third one down is from the second series, which appeared late 1960s to early 70s. It’s shown in the photos with which Lowboy started this thread. At the bottom is its stablemate Piano 20. At the top is the late 1970s to 2011 third series Piano 26. They all have the “darker” sound, though each model has its own distinct tones. The Hohner Cassottos are from the third series. Each series has its Piano 27.

Lowboy
    Participant

Just saying hello and staying in touch. Tough getting people together to jam, hence not doing a lot of recording lately. Visiting Jamaica soon so must start listening to some Dub with keyboard harmonica in it. Will provide a report on music scene in Jamaica when I get back. Regards, Lowboy

Lowboy with Melodica

Daren
    Keymaster

Great photo Lowboy, are you taking a keyboard harmonica with you to Jamaica?

Lowboy
    Participant

Hi Daren,

I have thought about bringing a melodica, but I not sure I will have sufficient room. I may if possible.

I am bringing my thumb piano to create a little Caribbean atmosphere on the balcony when relaxing. LOL

Lowboy

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button