"Roland Alphonso" by Don Cherry

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tor Bekken
    Participant

The great jazz trumpeter Don Cherry played many other instruments, including melodica. He recorded this piece in the early 1980s, in a duo with drummer Ed Blackwell. It’s on an album named EL CORAZON. Here’s my own little solo version…

prodz
    Participant

Beautifull.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

So beautiful, yes. Good choice of instruments, Tor!

Tor Bekken
    Participant

Thanks for the nice comments! The old Hohner is a wonderful instrument. I just got another one, probably even older, with a metal case (grey/white colour). I’ll post a video soon!

Tor Bekken
    Participant

Here’s the other Hohner Piano 26….the metal one.. May have to look into ways to reduce key noise, and it’s not as airtight as I may wish…but the sound / tone is GREAT

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Lovely.

Okay, so that’s the original “soprano” Piano 26, the HM-926, introduced by 1961, and followed by its mate, the “alto” HM-927. They continued to be marketed through the 1970s. The instrument in your previous video is the next in the development of the “Piano” Hohner Melodicas, the HM-26, along with its mate, the “alto” HM-27. These had a brief run during the 1970s. Then the third stage in the development of Hohner “Piano” melodicas began late 1970s or early 80s, marketed often just as “Piano 26” and “Piano 27,” though sometimes also as “HM-26” and 27. These continued to be marketed by the company until 2011. They are the ones we here associate so much with Lowboy Bootay’s innovative blues melodica techniques.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button