Research Masters focusing on Melodica and Composition (Split: 2017 Melodica Goals!)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Quetscher
    Participant

Oh yeah, that’s right Jazzman, these two sheets (Donna Lee and Ob-la-di Ob-la-da) are yours! Now I remember…

Maybe we should open up a new forum with original music and transcriptions for melodica, that would be great!

Daren
    Keymaster

Hi Nathan, I’ll dig out those scores any get them to you!

Quetscher, great techniques, when’s the youtube video??

jazzman1945
    Participant

Maybe we should open up a new forum with original music and transcriptions for melodica, that would be great!

If we all want to turn melodica In the popular instrument , then original music at this stage isn’t so important.

Quetscher
    Participant

Hi Daren,

are there any problems with the scores? Can I help in any way?

In fact I have thought about recording some video “lessons” to show how certain things can be done with the melodica. There may be time during the next few weeks – but that’s not a promise, so don’t wait for it…

@Jazzman1945
    : We want to make the melodica a popular but also an original instrument, so I wouldn’t favour neither transcriptions nor original music – I simply wanted to make a start with sheet music for melodica, and I really hope we get as much music as possible…

Alan Brinton
    Participant

I take that as a promise, Quetscher! Please do. I have been finding it very instructive to try to imitate what you do in some of your sound samples, trying to reproduce by whatever means to get the same kinds of effects. It sometimes surprises me that I’m able to figure the “how” out, but it would be great to see how you explain it. Jazzman’s descriptions are also helpful, of course.

Neil Thornock
    Participant

Hi Nathan,
    This sounds like a splendid project! I’m very curious to see what original music you dig up.

Christian Wolff has written for melodica.

I also have some scores of original music I can send your way. Only one of my melodica pieces is recorded so far, for melodica and saxophone.

http://eamusic.dartmouth.edu/~wolff/Works.html

Quetscher
    Participant

Hi Alan,

at least I promise to keep it in mind, and if I find some time I will certainly recording some videos…

@Neil: If you have any scores would you mind to post them? Iwould love to have some more music for melodica, original or transcriptions.

Thanks a lot, Quetscher

@jazzman1945 I would be very interested in hearing the jazz trio, where could I find a recording and/or sheet music?

I posted a while back some questions I am asking melodica players for a rounded view of the instrument and what im studying about it. I will copy and paste the questions again. Thanks in advance for answering the questions!

1. What about the melodica makes it a unique instrument? (if you think it is a unique instrument)

2. What sort of techniques do you use that you believe idiomatic (specific) to the instrument?

3. Have you experimented much with the melodica, electronics maybe?

4. How do you think it could be improved?

5. FINALLY What do you love about the melodica? (everyone is here I imagine because they enjoy playing and experimenting just as much as I do)

jazzman1945
    Participant

Nathan, thanks for the interest! I think that most answers to your questions you will find in my tutorial:
    Tutorial

<bloc3. Have you experimented much with the melodica, electronics maybe?kquote>
    I connected my Hammond-44 to the processors and amplification – the result wasn’t satisfactory. I prefer a microphone.
    </bloc4. How do you think it could be improved?kquote>
    The electronic version of the same size and weight, containing breath control and sampler , allowing to play microtones.

</bloc5. FINALLY What do you love about the melodica? (everyone is here I imagine because they enjoy playing and experimenting just as much as I do)kquote>

Melodica is closer to the soul, though not as a harp.

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Hello Jazzman, I understand the frustration of the Hammond 44 and the use of processors and amplification. After many years working on this issue there are many positives and many negatives involved with the Hammond 44. I have tried numerous amplifiers and processors in a multitude of combinations. The issues start with the the actual pickup used on the Hammond 44. One would think that all you need to do is plug in a cord and an amplifier and you are done. Well if you simply want a sound to come out and tone is not an issue then there is no need to read any further. Tone and timber like any other electronic instrument needs to be shaped and refined to ones personal taste. The bare nature of amplification auto

Heres a rehearsal video of anyone interested in gypsy jazz. I feel the melodica fits really well in this setting playing melodies and chords. Here are links to Danse Norvegienne and Minor Swing. Would like to know peoples opinions!

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Thanks for sharing, Nathan. I just recently started listening to Gypsy Jazz and Klezmer, and I think the melodica is well suited to these kinds of music, as these clips demonstrate — lighter and more airy than an accordion, more playful. I’m familiar with this second tune. Your playing is tasteful and very distinctive, especially on this tune. I like it a lot.

Paul Durham
    Participant

Nathan. I enjoyed your videos. Was that the Suzuki Pro?

jazzman1945
    Participant

To take Grieg’s music is a great idea!

Quetscher
    Participant

Great! The Pro-37 is definetly a good choice for that kind of music, and it has enough power to be heard in an acoustic ensemble

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button