Refinish of Yamaha P-32D

Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    Pam A
    Participant

So in an effort to find a yellow 25 key melodica that might be the one seen here with Jon Baptiste,

I found and purchased a instrument named Melodia 25 on Ebay. Wondering if any of you great sleuths on the site have ever seen this one before. I see that Melodica-Me found one named Zen-on Pianys. Perhaps this is a knock off of the same.

Any ideas? It is very nice in sound, key touch and responsiveness.

Pam A
    Participant

It does look identical to the Zen-on Piany 250A described before but simply says Melodia 25 on the case. After studying the video where I first spotted it, (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwHSDuEG6qc) it looks identical other than it looks like he modified the hand strap. But the carrying case is very nice and has a flavor of a Zen-on Piany carrying case – identical design just different color. Anyway, I am really enjoying it. Has a nice crisp tone, keys work well, only thing is that it is a bit on the loud side, just a bit compared to vintage Hohners but that is to be expected. Just like the color, it has a “bright” sound. Feeling pretty lucky!

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Here’s a photo of a Zen-on Piany 250A, Pam. Its top key is a G, while yours and Jon’s top out at C. Unless the Melodia 25 directly copies the Zen-on design, I’d say it’s definitely made by Zen-on. But it could have been marketed under another brand name or been manufactured by Zen-on for somebody else.

Pam A
    Participant

Thanks, Alan! I hadn’t noticed the difference in the range of scales – maybe the difference between alto and soprano, who knows. But glad for the info. Not sure of quality of Zen-on Piany but this one is fun. Doesn’t sound too bad either but I don’t have the most discerning ear either. LOL.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

I like the looks of the Zen-on’s. Your Melodia 25 is a beauty. I’ve been keeping my eye open for a used Piany 271A. A new one ordered from Japan is about $75.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Yamaha P-32D Refinish Revisited. Some time ago, I did one in gold and then one in metallic dark steel and wasn’t satisfied with either one, so here’s the compromise:

Artified:

Paul Durham
    Participant

Love the custom look of your finishes. Great work, Alan!

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Thanks, Paul.

Gerald de Peralta
    Participant

Hello, everyone. I first saw this thread upon joining this site, and I was inspired to do some paint work on my own Pianica P32-D because of the discoloration due to UV exposure. I just gave it a lick of paint–if I did a total stripdown, I might ruin the threads on the screws that hold the reed plates and snap off the pegs that hold the key springs. I also did not give it a clear coat, opting to use a spray-on protector that I also use on my ATV. And these are the results.

Pam A
    Participant

Geraldo, this looks quite nice! Did you use spray paint or brush on paint?

Alan Brinton
    Participant

What’s the brand/type of spray on protector, Geraldo?

Gerald de Peralta
    Participant

I used ordinary rattle can paint, with no topcoat (maybe I will add a top coat later). The brand is Lotus, which is a local Philippine brand. Though I did try looking for the Krylon brand.

Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button