Refinish of Yamaha P-32D

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    Pam A
    Participant

No ideas on the little yellow instrument in the second photo – also seen here

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Ukulele! I started on the Ukulele a couple of months ago and just upgraded to a Kala KA-ACP-CTG (concert slot-head).

Alan Brinton
    Participant

The yellow one. Oooh, that is a tough one. My first thought was Hammond or Suzuki bass, but the ridge on the end piece isn’t right, and its range starts on C, which is highly unusual and probably means it’s intended as a soprano. The ridge and yellow color resemble a (no longer produced) Suzuki Super 32. But there are 25 keys. I hate to admit it, but I’m stumped. It appears to have a pick-up. So it must be a new model, or it was custom built for Jon By Suzuki-Hammond. I want one.

Pam A
    Participant

I am so glad to hear you are stumped too! I have been searching the internet ’cause I want one too! Initially thought it was the Yamaha P25F but clearly isn’t when closely inspect the picture (color not as vivid and the case is much different). I have seen him play it on the Colbert show as well. Really cool. So I broke down and ordered the Yamaha ’cause I just really want a small one to travel with and don’t like to take my vintage Hohner Piana 27 or 26 on the road. I really love the little guys! As to the uke, my ukulele is a simple little dolphin Makala but has great Aquilla strings that come on it so it sounds pretty good!

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Pam, Alan, it looks like it is a Suzuki school 26 Melodion or a knock off from another manufacture. It has the same range as a Hohner 26 Student But the body is different. Color can vary from some of the knock off companies.
    Melodica-Me

Alan Brinton
    Participant

I have a School 26 (A-26), and it’s one of the best of vintage Suzuki Melodions. But it starts on B and has 26 keys. The one Jon’s playing starts on C and has 25 keys.

Suzuki A-26 (School 26)

Another Suzuki model that comes to mind is the Study 2 (or ii), 1978-91. This looks to be a precursor to the unusual Suzuki MA-32 (“Super II”). Both of these models are all plastic (non-metal tray) and of higher quality than later (current) plastic Suzukis (M and MX models). They are also both of the same yellow color (or very close). The Super II has a very unique sound.

I am surprised to see that there is a Study 2 for sale right now on eBay. I just put it on “Watch” and am tempted to bid on it. Let me know if you’re interested in bidding on it, and I won’t. I’m interested in whether it has its reeds in a cassette like the Super II. I can’t tell from the limited photos I’ve seen.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/322237968757?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true

Samick is another possibility. Samick (South Korea) has in the past produced versions of Suzuki models, and I have seen photos of one or more Samicks that have a ridge on the end pieces like the Suzuki Super II and Jon’s yellow melodica.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Just got the STUDY II (1978-91). It is a sweet little number with small key size similar to the original Hohner Piano 26/27, though the keys are a little narrower. It has a great harmonica sound. I’ll post a thread on this after I have a chance to examine it in detail.

Study II 25

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Lowboy will ask whether sound comes out the vent holes. It does not seem to come out of the ones in the bottom, which might be expected, since that appears to be a reed chamber cartridge (as on the MA-32 “Super II”). But it does very noticeably come out the vents at the top — the ones on the left, that is; the other two rows are blocked and are merely cosmetic.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Refinished Yamaha P-25E, in Krylon Satin Espresso, covered with Krylon Clear Gloss. A nice look, I think. I’m going to let this cure for a few weeks. Third photo compares with another P25E with the original finish. The P-25F, of course, is toybox yellow.

My refinished P-25E

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Pam, Alan, the Melodica that Jonathan B. Is playing may be a Zen-on Piany 250 A

Posted by Melodica on Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Melodica-Me

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Nice detective work, Melodica-Me. The Zen-on Pianys I see for sale are the 32 key green one. I’ll watch for the 250A. The standard for mandatory use of keyboard harmonicas in Japan seems to be 32 keys. That makes some sense in terms of the emphasis of playing it keyboard style with two hands laid flat in the lap or on a table. Consequently, 32 key models are much more plentiful.

Anyone played a Zen-on Piany?

By the way, I recently applied several layers of Meguiar’s Gold Class Caranuba Plus to the gold and Espresso Yamaha Pianicas shown above and then buffed them up real good. At first, fingerprints were a problem. But I’ve been using a lens cloth to buff them off as, and after, I play, and the fingerprint problem is going away.

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Alan, was the carnuba wax you used a paste or liquid? The paste will dry a little better but even though it says to leave until it turns white. I leave it a little longer and use a micro fiber cloth made for wax and not a regular micro fiber. It removes the wax better. I have been polishing the keys to the Diamanté with “Odies” pure bees wax and I have to leave it for at lease 2 hours before I can start to remove it, even though it says 1/2 hour. The trick is to use the right Micro fiber cloth or prints can be a challenge.
    Melodica-Me

Alan Brinton
    Participant

I started with a microfibercloth sold in bulk at Costco. But I have noticerd that it leaves residue when used on glasses, and it didn’t work well. Then I used a cotton T-shirt which worked better. Then I got some EliteTechGear cloths that are better. But what has been best of all is a cloth I got with something (can’t remember) that is a bit thicker than the EliteGearTech and feels like it’s rubberized. Maybe it’s synthetic chamois.

I’m using the paste, which I’ve used in the past on motorcycles.

Melodica-Me
    Participant

I like those yellow ones from Costco, they are handy and you get a lot for the cost. How is the gold finish coming along are you almost ready to be played.
    Melodica-Me

Alan Brinton
    Participant

I also applied the Meguiar’s to it and have been playing it. I think it will be okay with more waxing. However, the gold color is compromised, I think by the fact that I applied to gold paint over the original blue color. In retrospect, I probably should have used a white primer. But it still looks good, much better than the original blue. Do you think there’s anything to be said for waxing the original finish of some melodicas?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 72 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button