Reed Plates

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Alan Brinton
    Participant

Does anyone know if it’s possible to get replacement reed plates for Yamaha pianicas or other melodicas? I have searched online but without success. I know that Hohner sells replacement reed plates for their chromatic harmonicas.

I have removed the plates on a Yamaha 32D. It’s not a big deal, though there’s a somewhat fragile looking gasket, and it’s not clear to me whether that will have to be replced or glued back in place.

Daren
    Keymaster

Hi Alan

I’ve been looking for the same, but for the P37D, as a reed recently failed. I don’t think the reed plates are for sale on their own.

Have you seen Kevin’s melodica comparison video?

You can see here that he compares the P37D to a cheap unbranded melodica of exactly the same design/dimensions, and as you can hear the sound is identical. So if the reeds are in fact the same, one of these could be used for parts.

When I removed the screws holding the reed plate on the P37D, and lifted the plate upwards it did seem that some sort of sealant, or very light glue had been used.

Yamaha P37D reed plate

Kevin
    Participant

Melodicas.com offers reed plates for sale on their Mylodica page near the bottom.
    They don’t say what brand they are(guessing it’s whatever the L-37 is)?
    It seems most of the melodicas that use plates and not individual reeds are now made in the same part of the world so I’m suspicious there may be only one supplier for them all?

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Those plates are for the Mylodica, Kevin, but you raise the interesting possibility that some different brands of melodica may share plates made by a common supplier. Yamaha advertises that its plate are corrosion resistant, and I know from dissembling mine that the plates are barely discolored after a year of frequent use, which is not typical. So it seems unlikely that the Yamaha plates are interchangeable with those of other brands. You can see photos of the plates on my 32D at Amazon href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B0051PP2IY/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_0?ie=UTF8&index=0″>

and it’s also illustrated in Troy’s photo. The pinkish surface in his middle photo is what I referred to as a gasket. It can be lifted off, and appears to have been very lightly glued.

I had already viewed your video a few days ago, which I thought was excellent, and I left a comment.

Kevin
    Participant

I thought about too Alan after I posted that the cost of those Mylodica plates even if they were compatible you might as well buy a whole new melodica. :/
    I’ve also seen the Suzuki reeds and they are tapered so I imagine they may also come from a different supplier or at least modified by Suzuki?
    I was hoping someone has knowledge of how many reed makers there are? I’m guessing with Suzuki, Yamaha’s corrosion resistant ones and “the rest” there are at least three different styles of reed available to we players, perhaps more.
    Some day I’m going to pull a set from one manufacturer’s and install them on another’s chassis and see how much that changes the sound.
    And thanks for commenting on my video. 🙂

Daren
    Keymaster

Some day I’m going to pull a set from one manufacturer’s and install them on another’s chassis and see how much that changes the sound.

Looking forward to this Kevin!!

Gayle Wilson
    Participant

Anyone know if/where I can buy reed plates for a Hammond 44? I’ve blown the high G. I have a call in to Ray, the tech guy at Hammond, but am still waiting to hear back. I bought my melodian from Hammond in 2009 but since Suzuki bought them out a few years ago, Hammond no longer sells them. A while back, the hard-flex mouthpiece broke at the base where it goes into the blowhole…I was able to buy that part separately from Hammond but I got their last three (two for me and one for a Hammond-44 playing friend.) Wasn’t too impressed that they only had three of these things left with no plans to get more and no reference as to where to go from here for parts. Hopefully, Ray can sell me reed plates. They’ll fix it for me for about $150 but I think I can do it myself. Is it just a matter of unscrewing and taking the old ones off and screwing the new ones on? So far, I tune my melodian and have fixed other things that have gone wrong and I’d like to continue doing so because I love it even though it does have some problems. If I were to buy a new Hammond 44 HP from Japan, I think I might still have the problem I’m having now and that is, where do I get parts?

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Hello Gayle, I bought one of the first Hammond 44 when they first came out and for the exception of a little tuning here and there it’s been a work horse. I have just about every pro Melodica made and the Hammond is my go to melodica. I did purchase a “hand tuned” Excalibur a couple of months back and returned it because right out of the box the tuning was way off and I had to EQ the melodica so much to get the feed back to stop it sounded horrible. I currently run my Hammond 44 and Hyper through a Traynor k4 amp. Not really happy with the pickups on both Hammonds but better than the Excalibur. I have my Vibrandoneon serviced at an accordion shop here in Los Angeles and they replaced a reed for me there, actually he had to custom make it for me. What city are you in.
    Melodica-me

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Gayle, I contacted Hammond Suzuki and they said you can order parts here, Good luck
    Melodica-Me

In USA you can order at:
    Hammond Suzuki USA
    743, W. Annoreno Drive
    Addison, Illinois 60101
    USA
    info@hammondorganco.com

Gayle Wilson
    Participant

Thanks for the info, especially about the Excalibur. One of the other posts said he thought it was just a cheap melodica with a pickup. Was that your imprression? When I run my Hammond through an amp, the volume on both the p.a. head and the instrument has to be jacked up almost all the way to get the volume I need. I live in Medford, Oregon. There’s a guy here who fixes accordions so he would be a good resource for me.
    thanks again,
    Gayle

Gayle Wilson
    Participant

Thanks for going out of your way to locate that contact info for me. Those are the folks I have a call into about getting reed plates. The tech is Ray who’s “looking into it.” I just called them again and left a message. I will continue to be a squeaky wheel.
    Thanks again,
    Gayle

Melodica-Me
    Participant

No problem At all Gayle, since I rum the Hammond through the amp it does not need to be to loud because I mic my am and it goes through the PA. I used a preamp for a while but the tube died and I haven’t got around to ordering one and I have not had a real issue with volume, my issue is sound quality, the Traynor K4 is a great keyboard amp but not that great with the Melodica. I am looking into a Schertler Jam 150 smaller but better tone quality. I will then mic that as well. I am glad you were able to get your reed plate, with your issues, I am thinking of ordering one just in case my 44 goes out. It cost about the same for me to get a custom reed made.
    Melodica-me

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Wow, I need to find my glasses or use spell check lol

Gayle Wilson
    Participant

Hey, back in the day, I rummed everything…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button