Red Cassotto and Reed Adjustment

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Lowboy
    Participant

Well I finally received my red Hohner Cassotto 26 from Austria. It looks very cool, cosmetically is in near perfect condition, and is air tight. Two of the lower keys are not quite as responsive as I would like, and will completely choke with hard blowing. So it came apart for cleaning and adjustment. The two offending reeds are–as you would expect–lower down in the reed channel than the other reeds. I pinged them a few times, but did not want to risk bending them, so visually, there was no change in their position.

I will be taking a photo and showing you how nearly the whole reed is lower than the other reeds. So it seems that the reeds need to be bent back near the mounting rivet. I will be asking for an approach on this. I also have a couple of ideas for an approach that I will bounce off of you.

Then I will either practice on an old melodica, or send it to HohnerShop for professional repair. I really don’t want to damage the red one.

Regards,

Lowboy

Adam Tombs
    Participant

Looking forward to seeing your pics of the Cassotto and learning of your progress in freeing up it’s reeds.

Lowboy
    Participant

Hi Adam,

The reeds are free and they play fine at low to medium volume. It is only when I blow hard that they choke. I just need to adjust the gap, but I want to do so in a way with near zero risk of damaging the reeds. I think I have an idea to share but will need a few days to take some photos and show everyone.

Regards,

Lowboy

Adam Tombs
    Participant

It’s such a common problem, the volume vs choke factor. on my Piano 36 I had to gently adjust the gap using very fine feeler gauges (the kind used to adjust valve clearances and contact points on old cars). It played a little less buzzy, but over time and continuing to play, it settled downa lot.

All the Best,

Adam

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button