Recent Drop in Vintage Melodica Prices

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Alan Brinton
    Participant

As of 15 August 2015

I follow the auctions on a regular basis and have been noticing quite a few vintage melodicas going for lower prices, including some on eBay at very low prices that are getting no bids. Availability has also gone up. This includes desirable Hohner models such the Piano 36 and third series HM-26/27/32 models. As well as an abundance of the first (metal) soprano Piano 26. The same is true with Suzuki Melodions and Yamaha Pianicas, including desirable 1960s-1970s models, for example A-25 series Melodions and fairly rare first generation Pianicas. There tends to be little difference in price in relation to how rare a model is. Sellers usually have a rough idea of how old a vintage melodica is but often no idea that, say, a 1970s Suzuki A-26 is unique and pretty rare, while a 1970s Suzuki “Study” A-26 is easy to find. My ideas about the value and the relative value of vintage melodicas are, of course, not universally accepted!

Binyomin
    Participant

A couple of thoughts….

1) I suspect the market for these ‘desirable’ melodicas is relatively small. So that after a few sell for higher prices, the pool pf potential premium buyers is tapped out.

2) I think there are seasonal fluctuations on eBay in many categories, and it seems to me that summertime (when more musicians are out performing, or otherwise away from their computers/internet for outdoors activities), is less active on eBay, in that regard.

3) As sellers get high prices for certain models, more sellers put them on offer there, thereby pushing the supply/demand effect on pricing towards lower prices.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

I think you are right, Binyomin. In any case, it’s a good time to buy.

A typo in my earlier post: it is the Study A-25 (not A-26) that is easy to find. There are lots of these being sold. But both this and the rarer A-26 are highly desirable, in my opinion.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button