Preamp or D/I for Melodica

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Binyomin
    Participant

I’ve come to the conclusion that I need to buy a preamp or D/I for my Hammond 44 and 44HP, as the output level from the built-in pickup is simply too low in many circumstances.

Any recommendations? What are you guys using?

I recently bought an electric bass, so my ideal solution would work for both, but my primary purpose would be to use it for melodica.

Thanks!

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Hello Binyomin, I use a few things to boost the volume and they all work good. I would start with an inline transformer, from Melodica It’s a phono to xlr then xlr to phono, I purchased it at radio shack but you can find them on eBay. This is the cheapest way to go. The next option is a DI with EQ and drive, I use the Sanamp Paradrive dI a bit more about $175 depending on who you buy it from. You can use a clean boost pedal, like the Katana clean boost the simple mini version actually works good and it is 1/2 the cost out the larger version. I recently purchased a API Tranzformer pedal that is fantastic with the great API EQ, a driver and compresor all in one pedal, unfortunately this one carries a large price tag and it is externally heavy for a pedal. All these items will bring your level up, some will help with color (tone) but if all you need is a line boost start with the in line transformer first and see if that works for you. If you email me on my monsters of Melodica Facebook page I will shoot you a picture of my set up. Here is the one available on eBay

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Hosa-Technology-1-4-TS-HiZ-to-XLR-Male-LoZ-Inline-Impedance-Transformer-MIT-129-/181748577633?hash=item2a510f3561%3Ag%3A87oAAOSwKrhVWTbo&_trkparms=pageci%253A67904bf8-3c66-11e7-9b15-74dbd180f7cc%257Cparentrq%253A1fa666a715c0aa46b6e425ccffffd041%257Ciid%253A4

Thanks
    Hope this helps
    Melodica-Me

Binyomin
    Participant

Thanks for this, Mel. That API looks sweet for bass too… Naturally, it’s expensive, but I just may bite the bullet.I’ll look at all of these. At least it gives me a direction to check out. Do you use the compressor on your melodicas?

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Hello Binyomin, yes I use the compressor quite a bit with the Diamanté and the Hammond 44 not so much with the Hammond Hyper it tightens the sound up nicely. I am pretty happy with my set up and only have plans to replace the volumn and reverb pedals. I use an Ernie Ball junior and there are voids or drops when I do slow swells and sometimes, I am planning on getting Mission engineering pedal to replace the EB pedal. I also want to replace my Cathedral reverb pedal by Electro Harmonixs with a Eventide space reverb. There are a lot of trial and errors with pedals when it comes to using them with a Melodica. definately try the I line boost transformer first. It may do the job and there would not be a need to buy something you really don’t need. Let me knows how you do.
    Thanks
    Melodica-Me

Binyomin
    Participant

Just a quick follow-up…

I checked out the API at AES and it is simply too huge and heavy for my purposes, so I didn’t even try it. I’d heard good things about the Keeley Clean Boost from guitarist friends and in researching it online came across the Keeley Tone Workstation which is three pedals in one and includes the clean boost, a compressor, and a distortion. (You can turn the clean boost off and have two different distortions instead.) I tried it on a gig last Thursday for the first time and I’m quite pleased with how it sounded. I still want to play around with different distortion settings, but using the clean boost/compressor combo worked out very nicely. I’ve posted a video clip on my facebook page.

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Yes, the API pedal is a beast that is for sure. Coming in at about 4 pounds (mostly the transformer) and taking up a lot or real estate. I chose the API for the Transformer clarity and EQ and was not at the time looking for a distortion effect but with the drive control, you can get a nice break up depending on the amp you are running. Also lets not forget that the melodica is not always the best instrument to distort lol. I have used the Keeley Katana clean boost and it is a great pedal. I have not used the Tone Work Station but would love to hear what you do with it. let me know what melodica and amp you are running or if you are using it through the house system.

Melodica-Me

Binyomin
    Participant

Last Thursday, I ran the Hammond 44 through it into the house system at the venue. No amp

The distortion can add a nice flavor, kind of like a blues harmonica through a mic/amp. Haven’t spent a lot of time with the distortion, but I can definitely see some uses for it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button