Pimped Yamaha P32D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Daren
    Keymaster

I have a little experiment I’d like to share.

I’m very fond of the Yamaha Melodica as it exists, but I wondered how it would sound with a wooden body, and upgraded reeds. I’ve already made a simple plywood case, modifying the moisture-release valve so that it operates from outside the body.

wooden P32D Yamaha melodica

I’ve ordered some sets of reeds From Harmonikas in the Czech Republic. I first heard these reeds when a friend used them in his button melodica. They’re very good quality. I believe they’re used in some high end accordinas too.

There’s just enough room (in theory) to fit the single reeds into the Yamaha chamber. I’ll use beeswax to attach them the traditional way.

I’ll keep you posted!

Tuvia
    Participant

Hi Daren
    Any pics of your plywood construction ?
    Thanks

Daren
    Keymaster

Hi Tuvia. I didn’t take any pics while I was making it. I basically copied the design of the plastic case, with screws coming in from the back. Not the best design for woodwork, but I wanted something quick and easy.

Tuvia
    Participant

Thx. I’m looking for a better design than mylodica has

I know you’ve written about yours

Shannon M
    Participant

Hi Daren,

What was their minimum order for reed sets? Would you mind sharing their cost?

Thanks,

Shannon

Daren
    Keymaster

Hi Shannon

I ordered 10 sets, as I have a few things to try out! I think they cost around 4 Euros per reed. I might have some sets left over to sell on at cost price, but can’t promise anything yet.

Shannon M
    Participant

Daren,

Thanks for the quick reply. I would definitely be interested in a set or two. I am brainstorming a prototype accordina/melodica hybrid with a different keyboard and would prefer using new reeds to cannibalizing old instruments, especially if I end up making more than one. Looking forward to your review of the reeds.

Shannon

Bruno Travi
    Participant

Excellent Daren!
    It seems that the reeds used are from Bohema made in Czech melodica.
    After the changes, ¿what is your opinion of the new sound?

Daren
    Keymaster

The reeds haven’t arrived yet Bruno, but the wooden case, with the original reeds does result in a noticeably warmer sound

Quetscher
    Participant

Hi Daren, do you know in which range melodica reeds are produced by Harmonika? Alan kindly posted the chart they have on their site but I couldn’t make it out. First I thought it could be f-e3 just like the range of the Bohema melodicas, but if they are really used in accordinas it should be a bigger range up to c4…

Daren
    Keymaster

Hi Quetscher, the lowest reeds I ordered are the B below the lowest F on a Yamaha P37D. In other words the B, just over one octave below middle C.

And the highest reed was the F, same as the highest note on a P37D.

I’m sure they could make higher than that.

Email them!

Quetscher
    Participant

Oh, that’s quite a huge range, I didn’t expect that! Thanks a lot.

I have another question: the size of the reed plates is always the same, no matter how high or low the note is, is that right? And could you tell me the size? That would be great!

Daren
    Keymaster

Yes, the reed size should always be the same. The size is 8mm x 33mm.

Shannon M
    Participant

Hi Daren,

Do you know what the standard reed spacing is on the Yamaha? Do you know if the different makers have standardized their spacing? For instance Yamaha the same as Suzuki, Hohner, etc.

Thanks,

Shannon

Daren
    Keymaster

Hi Shannon

The reeds are spaced 11.2mm apart in the Yamaha melodicas. I don’t know about the others, I don’t think there’s a standard. Maybe I’ll start a thread, so people can add dimensions for melodicas that they own…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button