Photos of Vintage Hohner Piano 26s to Support My Review

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Lowboy
    Participant

In support of my review of the Hohner Piano 26s, here are a couple of photos. The five-screw model could be 50 years old or older, but it sounds as if it is brand new. Few melodicas have that kind of staying power in my experience.

Regards,

Lowboy

Old Hohner Piano 26s Front

Old Hohner Piano 26s Back

Adam Tombs
    Participant

I love these too. I have the five screw piano 26 in pristine condition and it is one of my favourite hooters.

I am looking at the other later model Piano 26/27 in the alto 27 key version, having had some good results from
    the similar even later model Piano 26 (Plastic body, made in Germany). The one I am looking at has the flat back which is screwed on, it’s blockier and larger than the older versions.

Currently attemping a rebuild and tune up of the similar five screw metal body piano 27 alto… wish me luck.

Lowboy
    Participant

Hi Adam,

I have a flat-back, plastic, Piano 26. It is a nice looking and handling keyboard harmonica. It has the smooth, mellow, darker timbre that I like. However, it takes a fair amount of effort to blow and is one of the softest keyboard harmonicas I have ever played. So it has its place, but I don’t play it very often.

Hohner Flat-Back, Plastic, Piano 26

Regards,

Lowboy

Lowboy
    Participant

Correction. It is hard to tell if this Piano 26 has a plastic or metal back plate. I took it apart about 6 months ago and think I remember it being metal. Not sure, but I think the back plate is metal. Lowboy

Adam Tombs
    Participant

Interesting, the only melodica I have that is of the same vintage as the one I am thinking of is a piano 20. It has no problem with volume and is quite the ‘dark horse’in terms of tone. A nice little player with an obviously limited range. Smells like it spent a lot of time on display at a Greek coffee shop, which is pretty close to where it actually lived for a long time. I am an ex smoker who still likes a cigar now and then and this little melodica now smells pleasantly like coffee and tobacco. When I first got it, it absolutely reeked, but after trying various cleaning methods I no longer start sneezing when I handle it.

Shannon M
    Participant

Lowboy,
    You mentioned in your review that the five screw sounded more “harmonious ” than the three screw. what do you mean?

thx

Lowboy
    Participant

Hi Shannon,

I said the sound of the older 5-screw model has slightly more “harmonics” or overtones. That is a loose way of saying the tone was a bit fuller or richer. As I sit here now switching back and forth between the 3-screw and 5-screw models, I hear a slight difference in tone between the two, but the difference varies in funny ways depending upon if I am playing high notes, low notes, intervals, or chords. And when do I hear a difference, I am not sure which one I like the best.

So I don’t think it matters which one you buy or play. They are pretty close in tone. Generally speaking, the 5-screws seems to move air faster, be slightly louder and generality fuller. But again the difference is very very small. For most uses, I would buy either without consideration for the differences.

The 5-screw is older and a bit heavier, and it feels like you are picking up a small log. That could add to the coolness factor.

Regards,

Lowboy Bootay

Lowboy
    Participant

Hi Adam,

Note on the Piano 27 rebuild that there are four screws for the mouthpiece receiver. Two are machine threads and two are wood-screw type threads. The machine threaded screws go in the top. You can see a metal pad inside the mouthpiece receiver into which the machine screws are screwed. I did not pay attention to this when I took mine apart and got them mixed up, ruining the machine thread in the mouthpiece receiver.

Lowboy

Shannon M
    Participant

Lowboy,

thanks for the clarification. I have a three screw and am really learning to appreciate it. Like you, I bought it last. but it really has a nice tone and handles well. Well above a toy IMO.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button