P-37D wildly out of tune? Also: delayed key sound.

Tagged: ,

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Alan Brinton
    Participant

Air passing over the nail polish is on its way out of the melodica. It’s not something I personally would worry about.

Pál Krammer
    Participant

An update on my P-37D tuning: well, as both Alan and André predicted, even doing nothing the tuning will change over time and also as the instrument is played. I’ve observed that even when my melodica is dry the tuning will be different from last week.

So, rather than chase small variations in pitch over time and playing conditions, I think the safest course of action is to identify which keys are consistently out of tune by about 15 or more cents and focus on correcting those. Fortunately, there aren’t many.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

This is pretty much what I do, Pal. Occasionally I do a general tuning. But after that I only worry about notes that are noticeably out of tune. It has been said by some that being somewhat out of tune is one of the charms of the melodica. Also, skilled players vary the intonation of notes as they are playing. (See Lowboy Bootay’s recently posted Melodica Expressiveness Techniques.)

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button