New tube for Hohner Piano 36 ?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Clep
    Participant

I have several HM Piano 36’s, and with all I use the same tube. I think it’s an aftermarket addition from some previous owner. Last night the inevitable happened: the melodica slipped off a chair and shattered the 90-degree fitting that went in to the melodica.

I might be able to repair it, but I’d like to use this opportunity to once and for all find a new, maybe even better solution.

I know lots of players don’t like to use the blowing tubes, but I’m definitely a tube user. I’ve looked around and I can’t seem to find good tubing material. The ideal tube is going to be about 3/8″ I.D. (~9-10mm), be supple enough to bend easily, not be stretchy or elastic, and not have deep corrugation.

I can’t seem to find a source for this, though I’m sure it’s out there… surgical rubber tubes are too stretchy, non-corrugated plastic tubes are generally way too stiff, excessively corrugated tubes often make the “Whirly_tube” sound.

Any sources for tubing? Or the fittings? Or the mouthpiece?

Do any of the pre-made solutions fit into a HMPiano 36? I measure the I.D. of the hole at ~.466″ tapering to ~.436″ over ~.515″, which if my math is right is about a 1.67 degree taper.

Thanks for any tips!

Clep
    Participant

Should have done this first: I’ve read through the tubing posts here and I think I see that there isn’t some easy solution for this. If I come up with anything I’ll post here. 🙂

I’m now thinking that I may have to have the fitting 3D printed and then sand it to fit (I’m pretty attached to the 90-degree elbow I was using and don’t want to go straight out of the instrument.) For now I’ll use the old tube I have been using, but like everyone says, it’d be great if there was a good source for an alternative.

Clep
    Participant

I ended up making a 3D model of the fractured elbow, in case anyone is interested. This should be able to be printed with an online service for about US$9 shipped (or $92 if you want to get it in titanium 🙂 ).

caseyconnor.org/pub/image/melodicas/hohner_mpiano_36_elbow_v1.stl

Note that I have not yet tested this. I will report back on how well it fits. At any rate it could be sanded, etc.

I mimicked the original almost exactly, with a little more curvature to the internal windway and some other less significant changes. The diameters and tapers and depths should match exactly.

Clep
    Participant
    Daren
    Keymaster

Good work Clep, what we do without 3D printing?!

Clep
    Participant

This is my first time doing it! I spent 20 minutes figuring out how I was going to manufacture the part out of wood, and suddenly realized “wait a minute… maybe it’s time to finally do some 3d printing…” 🙂

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Awesome work Clep. I feel like a dinosaur melodica maker when I see what can be done with a 3D printer.
    Melodica-Me

Kevin
    Participant

Hi Clep,
    I’ve had some good luck with the tubing used for resistance exercise. It’s stretchy enough to fit over various fittings and mouthpieces but it has very thick walls so it doesn’t kink up so easy in a bend.
    I salvaged one from an old unit but it looks like you can order it by itself without handles.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button