New to me Clavietta

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Dan
    Participant

Hello all,
    I’m new to the forum and new to melodicas. I first purchased a vintage hohner piano 27. It arrived in mint condition and I have been practicing my basic skills on it. I also bid on and won a clavietta (34 keys) at an auction for what i thought was a pretty good deal ($29). I expected some issues and was not disappointed. All of the reeds work and the air chamber seals are ok but…I will need to replace all of the washers as they are all hard and brittle. Can someone tell me where I can find washers that will work? Thanks for any info you can give me

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Welcome, Dan. Look at Oscar’s photos of Clavietta repair work he has done. You’ll see a small packet of washers. I forget the exact size, but they are ordinary black ones you can find by taking one or the whole Clavietta to a hardware store.

Clavietta

Dan
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. I did check the photos and they were very useful when I took the clavietta apart. As Oscar said in his post, the washers were not an exact fit and moved around in the slot holding them. This caused the washers to leak occasionally. I solved the problem by buying tiny o rings that partially filled the slot, then the washers fit snugly with no leaks (after some adjusting). I did not replace the washers on the black keys as they were still doing the job. I finally got to actually play the Clavietta about an hour ago and it does have a sweet sound. Thanks for your suggestions

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Thanks for the tip on your solution!

Brian
    Participant

Dan,

Do you recall what size the O-rings were you used? 3/32 or smaller? I believe that the other person (Oscar maybe) mentioned that the washers he got were 3/32″ inside diameter by 7/16″ outside diameter by 1/16″ thick and that fit somewhat loosely. I am guessing smaller since 3/32″ washers are a bit loose but wanted to ask before I try this on mine.

So do the O-Rings fit into the slot and the washers go underneath the O-Rings and the body of the Clavietta or the other way around?

Has anyone tried this for a seal?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-E-O-5-16-in-x-1-4-in-x-17-ft-White-EPDM-Cellular-Rubber-Weatherstrip-Tape-V25WA/100017014

I may try if I need to replace the seal. It has adhesive already. There is a foam version too.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-E-O-3-4-in-x-5-16-in-x-10-ft-Black-High-Density-Rubber-Foam-Weatherstrip-Tape-R534H/202262324

But that may be too big.

Thanks
    Brian

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Dan, the washers work, but if you can find one with a 1/16″ hole in the center it would be better. What I have done is just place a little silicone on the post prior to installing the washer, let it sit over night and it will not move. for the gasket I use leather lace with contact cement. Do a V cut, but not all the way through, just enough to create a miter fold at each corner. Then miter lap the ends together. This works the best. you can find the lace at craft store or even Walmart online.

See website attached

http://www.walmart.com/ip/25276075?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227017818319&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40944316232&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78883681592&veh=sem

I hope this helps you

Melodica-Me
    Monsters of Melodica

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Hobby Lobby and some other craft stores also have the lace.

Dan
    Participant

I ended up not using the o rings and stock washers as things still did not fit correctly or stay in place. I bought a sheet of silicone rubber and a leather hole punch set from Amazon and made my own washers. Around $20 and they fit snugly and did not leak. Good luck with your project. The sound is worth the effort.

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Dan, would love to see how you did it’ can you post some pictures? And maybe some of the punch and sheet you used.
    Thanks
    Melodica-Me

Brian
    Participant

Dan,

That sounds great. I was trying to figure out how to make something as well. Can you provide more details on the parts you ordered and any tips/tricks you picked while making these?

Thanks again
    Brian

ssteve
    Participant

Hi Guys

My name is Steve. I live in the Nashville area.

I am really thankful for the resource here.

I have been restoring a Clavietta. I settled on making a one piece rubber gasket from 1/32 thick rubber/fiber sheet from the automotive store.

I had a heck of a time getting the pan back on the air chamber. It was tweaked a little bit and had to be squeezed a little to get fully in.

I put a light coating of type 2 gasket sealant under the gasket.

The washers I found locally were neoprene(rubber) 1/16 thick 1/2 x 3/16 hole. They work fine.

I am still losong air. In another thread, Oscar said that air was released through the 5 holes in the frame piece. What I can’t figure out is how it gets from the air chamber without a key being pressed.

How do it do that? It loos like air goes in between the 2 parts of the pan and should either stay in the air chamber or make a sweak getting out.

I would be greatful if someone could descibe the path of air other than past the washers.

Thanks!

Brian
    Participant

Hi Steve,

Did you get the washers at one of the big box stores like HD or lowes? If so can you share the part number? I am poking around on lowes but do not see them. Checking HD now.

Thanks
    Brian

Brian
    Participant

i just found these at Lowes. it helps to spell neoprene correctly when searching.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_136497-37672-880368___?productId=3012341&pl=1&Ntt=rubber+washers+1%2F16-in+1%2F2-in+3%2F16-in

brian

ssteve
    Participant

I actually found them at a local True Value, but I also saw those at Lowes. They look close to me.

I used a dial caliper to measure the original washers. By my measurement they are .544 OD X .040 thick X .120 ID. This is in inches of course.

I don’t have trouble with the washers. I can’t figure our where all of the air is going once I got it assembled.

Let me know how you make out.

Steve

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Steve, the actual air that is released from the holes on the last 5 lower keys of the Clavietta is released through the reed then through the reed channel it self.
    path is as follow:
    1) air to chamber, 2) air though reed 3) air though release through the (5) holes. 4) air released through the underside of the last (5) keys
    The air back pressure is not great enough to sound the reed
    until the washer is lifted and more air can pushed though the reed. These holes also serve another purpose, they give the Clavietta its distinct sound of Loud with quick soft release. I threaded some set screws in the holes and only have the last two holes open, it saved a little air and has a little quicker response in the base notes (Nothing dramatic).

Note: In the Clavietta 25 these holes do not exist.

I hope this helps

Melodica-Me
    Monsters of Melodica

http://s355.photobucket.com/user/BigPwr/media/La%20Clavietta/image.jpg1.jpg.html%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/BigPwr/La%20Clavietta/image.jpg1.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5B/URL%5D” alt=”Clavietta release holes” />

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button