New Melodica build

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Melodica-Me
    Participant

Well, I was hoping to start a new Melodica build early in the year but I guess better late than never. The new mini lathe has proven very useful and a lot of fun to use. I had not used a lathe in a long time and I had forgot how much tooling was needed, so I made a list of tooling that was absolutely necessary and a list of what I would just love to have in the tool box. I am lucky that there is a shop that specializes in small machinery just 15 minutes away and with the name “The Little Machine Shop” I guess I could not go wrong. I decided on one of the tooling packages they feature and it turned out to be a great selection. I was concerned that a lathe that was to big would not fit on my bench since bench real estate had become rare. I decided to go with a 7×10 sized mini lathe, figuring that it would fit nicely and still leave enough room for a future disc sander and space to work. The first item I wanted to build were adjustable valve stops for the New Diamanté Wind Vox 2.0. I made them out of aluminum that will be anodized to avoid any toxic issues. They do not have any direct contact with my mouth so I can just coat them and save the money but I am going to have several items I will be anodizing so might as well get them done at the same time. I will post a video in the next day or so showing how I made them. Ok back to the bench.
    Melodica-Me

Melodica-Me
    Participant

As mentioned, here is a short video of me making a Valve Stop for the Diamante Wind Vox. I hope to complete the build by the end of summer, well maybe, still a lot to go and this is only one of many many parts to build.

Melodica-Me

Paul Durham
    Participant

Very Nice! Thanks for sharing!

Quetscher
    Participant

Wow, cool shirt, ahem, WORK, that’s what I wanted to say. I’m very impressed, I could never do that on my own, I always needed the help of someone. Why do you call the video ‘Melodica Shop’? Are you finally planning on building a small series of Diamanté melodicas? That would be great! Put me on top of the list!!!

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Hi Andy, thanks, it was supposed to say “My Melodica Shop” and no plans to make the Diamanté for sale. It takes a very long time to make one and I can only make one a year with the little time I have available. My goal is to one day build a Melodica that will perform as I wish and be identifiable by its sound and appearance. Sometimes I don’t even sleep just thinksing of what I can do to achieve this, someday.
    Thanks again
    Melodica-Me

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Thanks Paul

Shannon M
    Participant

Hi MM,

Thanks for sharing. Hope to see more construction videos. Which mini lathe did you go with, and are you happy with it’s performance?

Shannon M

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Hello Shannon, I purchased a 7×10 mini lathe by Century Machine. It has worked out great, I would have preferred to buy a Klutch combo machine Lathe/mill, but it is twice the size and 3x’s the cost. I like the 7×10 size because it is small and dose not take up to much space on my bench, heavy enought to keep it grounded once on and lite enough to move around the bench when needed. I will only be making small parts so the 7×10 is perfect for now.
    Melodica-Me

LeonidKryuk
    Participant

Hi, Oscar. The whole world of melodica players want your instrument. Finally we can stop envy to harmonica player! Really, Oscar, tell us what to do to convince you to start the manufacturing? You can be THE FATHER of modern melodica. Melodica can be perceived as a REAL and SERIOUS instrument. Kids in schools will study melodica like they study trumpet or saxophone. Melodica artist will have more work and better live. Your picture will be in every class. Com’n, Oscar, give us a hope. I’m sure you’ll find a lot of people willing to pay a good price for the instrument.
    Best.
    Leo

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Leonid, thank you for the kind words. If ever I decide to start making and selling the Diamante, your name will be at the top of the list. 🙂
    Melodica-Me

Melodica-Me
    Participant

I would like to give everyone here on Melodicaworld a sneak preview of the new Diamanté Wind Vox # 002 I have been working on. Please let me know what you think.
    Melodica-me

Daren
    Keymaster

Looks very nice! Can’t wait to hear it 🙂

Pam A
    Participant

Wow! Can’t wait to hear it as well!

Alan Brinton
    Participant

For some reason I had missed the video of the first Diamante about a year ago. So here for anyone else who missed this incredible display of the #001, my new favorite melodica video:

Shannon M
    Participant

Beautiful instrument. Interesting that you chose a clarinet mouthpiece. Are you using a reed with it? Any other design changes you made with this instrument, other than the obvious change of materials? Looking forward to hearing it.

Shannon

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button