New Facebook melodica group

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Gianluca Barbaro
    Participant

If that’s ok with Daren,
    after having noticed that there’s no “place” on FB for us melodica players (at least, I couldn’t find one, except a few “Pages” that apparently aren’t aimed at promoting a community), I have created a group: Melodica – Pianica – Melodion – Clavietta – Keyboard Harmonica Players
    It might be useful in attracting new players and promoting our instrument to a bigger audience, and maybe a little easier for sharing fb contents.
    This is in no way competing with this wonderful forum: on the contrary, I’m planning on redirecting here eventual questions that have already been answered in this forum (practically all of them 🙂

let me know what you think of it
    gl

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Looks great, Gianluca!

Daren
    Keymaster

Hi Gianluca

Good idea, but there’s already a MelodicaWorld Facebook page with over 1000 members, so I’d like to encourage everyone here to sign up if they haven’t already. Its under-utilised at the moment, but would be a great place to build on.

https://www.facebook.com/melodicaworld/

Gianluca – I can make you an admin if you like?

Daren
    Keymaster

It seems that the above is a ‘Page’ rather than a ‘Group’, and groups are better for interaction amongst members. It looks like there isn’t a way of changing a page into a group. The only way suggested by FaceBook is to create a duplicate Group page, and invite the members from the Page.

Daren
    Keymaster

Ok, I’ve made a duplicate MelodicaWorld Group, and I’m inviting members from the Facebook page to join up. Hopefully, this will work, and we’ll have 1,000 members soon 🙂

https://www.facebook.com/groups/579136949211042/

Gianluca Barbaro
    Participant

ahah, now we have TWO groups! The more the merrier?
    Daren, I wrote to you about this like 9 days ago, I’m sorry we couldn’t coordinate better.
    I’m totally cool with inviting everyone to join Melodica world’s group and closing the one I opened. Also, I could be an admin, should you wish so.
    Unfortunately Facebook doesn’t send any notification to page members about the creation of a related group, so we will have to work a bit before reaching the 1.000 members…

I just have a doubt that maybe it’s of general interest: could we extend the group name to other names for the melodica, like the one I came up with? I think it could help when people do searches on FB. What do you think?

gl

Alan Brinton
    Participant

I was aware of and following the Melodica World Facebook page. Not sure what to suggest. There’s a third group, “Melodica,” whose page I had already been following, though not lately. I guess a Federation of melodica groups could be formed. I’m not keen on having two competing groups, both having originated here and both having the same kind of “mission statement.” Not what Gianluca intended, of course.

I’m not in favor of changing the Melodica World brand name. We’re too far down the road on that, and there does not seem to be confusion among melodica enthusiasts about the terminology.

I wonder about the relationship between the content of this site and what appears from it or is duplicated in the Melodica World Facebook Group. Will it be mainly recent highlights and the introduction of new members? Are there structuring issues that need to be made (with Facebook MW Group or other groups) about how content appears or is accessed?

Alan Brinton
    Participant

I guess I think Daren’s offer to make Gianluca an admin for the MW Face group is the best solution, and then get the items on gl’s group moved over, and maybe add a subheading with the other instrument names?

Daren
    Keymaster

I think the Facebook page could be for more fun and light topics and chat, with crossover posts from the main website, and other sites whenever there’s something particularly interesting. The uncomplicated format lends itself to quick, conversational, ‘throwaway’ posts. There will be some people who will not join a forum, but would readily post on FB. You can see that there’s already been several posts in the few hours that its been open.

I think this forum website is a searchable mine of information for the serious player, and I like that it is independent of FB, as Facebook can (and does) change the rules at any point – it probably isn’t the safest receptacle for all of this precious info.

So my suggestion is FB for melodica chat, and the forum for serious issues!

Alan Brinton
    Participant

It looks like this is worked out and we’ll all be happy. Gianluca is not a man who let’s the grass grow under his feet. He has generated new interest and attracted some interesting new site links, and now has encouraged a migration over to the Melodica World Facebook group. Melodicans of the world, unite!

Hans
    Participant

i am new here and i must say [ sorry ] i hate F.B.

So i hope that all the info from F.B. comes also here

on this forum ??

Alan Brinton
    Participant

I don’t hate Facebook, but it’s more a place for fleeting thoughts. This is the place for organized and searchable information and for much more of a sense of community.

Joanna Funk
    Participant

I’m not a Facebook fan. This space is so considered, and quietly encouraging.

Hans
    Participant

That is also what i mean Joanna.

A forum is more personal, F.B. is more “Fast-Food” hahaha

Alan Brinton
    Participant

I agree, but it would be a shame to miss some of the videos and links being posted in the Facebook group(s), for example the wonderful Stella by Starlight recording by Kiko Sanchez. That’s up there with the most iconic melodica videos.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button