My cat just mauled me for playing the melodica…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Elizabeth
    Participant

Hello!

So my melodica arrived in the mail yesterday, and today I finally got to sit down and start playing it.
    I started playing some simple melodies, and then my cat just walks in to the room, meowing like crazy, and starts biting and scratching my hand.

Have other people experienced this? Is this a common thing? Do all cats freak out when you play the melodica?

Alan Brinton
    Participant

I have two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, Etta and Charlie. They enjoy the piano or the guitar. Charlie listens politely to the melodica, but without enthusiasm. Etta, however, either leaves the area or commences to loud whining. I think it hurts their ears, especially the high notes. You might try switching to a Hohner Piano 27, though, or a Clavietta.

Daren
    Keymaster

I used to have a cat who objected strongly to my melodica playing. It was far more scared of the accordion though which it rated somewhere between a hoover and a dog. I wonder if there’s something about the sound of reeds they don’t like…

Adam Tombs
    Participant

My old mixed breed hound dog is seemingly immune to the melodica sounds I make, but this might have something to do with all the irish trad music I played on the tin whistle over the years. If you stuff up blowing into the second octave it can make you feel like throwing the whistle at a wall. The poor dog would leap up and urgently demand to be let out side (get me as far away from that horrible noise as I can get lol). Even now if I look like I am going to play the whistle ( I have become a little better over time) I get a reproachful look and she retires to her room, the laundry.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button