mouthpiece for older hohner 36

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Clep
    Participant

Hi! I have tuned and repaired and adjusted the reeds on a Hohner melodica-piano 36 (looks just like this).

It’s sounding and playing fantastic now, but I somehow cracked the mouthpiece beyond repair — this is the tan plastic part that hangs on the end of the tube. I’m not especially fond of it, but I’d like to replace it anyway. I was amazed to find this and this, both of which look like the ticket, but don’t list this (older) model as being compatible, so I thought I’d check with the experts.

Any insight? Thanks!

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Clep, this mouth piece will the Hohner Piano 36, it is for an HM 900 take a picture and post I may have one that may work for you, If it does you can have it as I do not use these.
    Melodica-Me
    Monsters of Melodica

Clep
    Participant

Thanks! That’s very generous! Here is what I have (click for picture) — includes rough dimensions. Does that seem to match what you’re talking about?

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Clep, these do not look like anything I have, sorry. The one that you found looks a lot closer and may work better.
    Melodica-Me

Clep
    Participant

Thanks anyway! I’ll take my chances with one of the suppliers above. I kinda wonder if the previous owner subbed in the mouthpiece or something. Cursory research suggests that the 36 didn’t come with the mouthpiece that I broke.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Clep,

I’m pretty sure that combo you have of the HM-900/901/Student mouthpiece and the other fitting was created for use of a tube with those early button style Hohner Melodicas, which were introduced before tubes became standard issue with most melodicas. The Piano 36 also didn’t come with a tube, and the previous owner of yours probably either adapted the mouthpiece and fitting (and another fitting) to play the Piano 36 with a tube or else found that it could be used directly as a short (and awkward looking) mouthpiece.

Alan

Clep
    Participant

…which explains why the tube and mouthpiece are so awkward to fit into the 36’s case, which is how the mouthpiece got broken in the first place. 🙂 Thanks for the info!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button