Monsters of Melodica "Snow Samba"

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Melodica-Me
    Participant

So it’s time for a new Monsters of Melodica Recording. This time its a Jazz Samba by Paquito De Rivera entitled “Snow Samba” On this recording we feature “La Clavietta” for the main melodica and for solos we have featured the Hammond Soprano and The Hohner Solist. Quick note, the Solist was recorded via live amp “Magnatone 421” and a Roger Myers 58 limiter/compressor pedal I was able to get on loan for this recording. Its time to dance.

Lowboy
    Participant

Monsters of Melodica rule! Melodica-Me, you really have it going on there. The music, solos, musicians, and artwork. Great work in promoting the melodica.

Regards,

Lowboy

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Thanks Lowboy, I wish I could dedicate more time to the Monsters of Melodica recordings and get more videos out faster. We are actually working on a couple more to release hopefully in a couple of months.
    Thanks again for your kind and positive words.

Melodica-me

Tom
    Participant

What a great recording. At first I couldn’t figure out the whistle that was doubling the melody (until her reread the description). It almost sounded like Toots whistling along with his own harmonica 🙂 Wonderful effect. It’s so great to hear jazz played at such a high level on the melodica. And it’s so interesting to hear the diversity amongst all of the various melodica sounds. I don’t think there are too many acoustic instruments that have as much diversity.

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Thanks Tom, I think the most interesting part about recording the Monsters of Melodica is finding the right tune and finding the right melodica for that tune and the combination of melodicas.
    Thanks again
    Melodica-Me
    Monsters of Melodica

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Up to the usual standard. It’s great to hear the Clavietta, Solist and new Hammond Soprano at all — but all three on the same recording, what a treat. Take that, Mothers Against Melodicas!

Shannon M
    Participant

Very nice, Oscar. What is the range of the Hammond Soprano. Almost sounds like a tin whistle. 8^) Also, is there a reason you don’t list the drummer and bass player? No criticism, just curious. Excellent playing by all involved. Especially nice to hear the contrast between the different instruments. As Alan said, what a treat.

Shannon

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Thanks Alan, it’s always great to have feed back from the guys here on Melodicaworld. The next One will feature the Hohner Electra if all works out.
    Thanks again Alan
    Melodica-Me

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Hello and thank you Shannon. The main reason we do not list the rythem section is that we use backing tracks. In this particular case it’s the Hal Leonard version of Paquito D’Rivera Snow Samba. If you have not used these before they are a great tool for someone who wants to know how it feels to play with a group or just to practice to. They come with a Cd of the tracks and a lead sheet to play to. I highly recommend them. As for the range of the Hammond Soprano, I am not sure I will have to pull my tuner out and get the range and report back.
    Melodica-Me
    Monsters of Melodica

Quetscher
    Participant

Melodica-Me,

great recording! And the Soprano is King, I like the sound especially when played in Latin American music (BTW it would be quite interesting to hear a Suzuki Andes soloing on such a number…).

I couldn’t imagine a Clavietta playing Samba, but it sounds very good.

Looking forward to hearing the Hohner Electra!

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Thanks Quetscher, we actually tried the Andes before the Hammond Soprano, but it always seam to sound slightly out of tune during playback, we could not figure out why. Some notes worked fine and some did not, we checked the Andes tuning with a chromatic tuner and we noticed that it fluctuated a bit with the amount of air pressure that was applied. This was especially noticeable on the lower notes more so than on the higher notes. I am thinking of buying one for myself just to see if this is normal for the Andes or if it was the player. It was brand new so he may not had enough time to practice with it and get used to playing it, (he was not the one on the soprano soloing). I actually like the sound of the Andes as it has a airy sound.
    Melodica-Me

Tom Teasley
    Participant

Really great,MM! Beautiful playing, recording and arrangement! I’d love see some video of you playing and using your rig. Onward, T

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Thanks Tom, I will have to do that some day.
    Melodica-Me

Andre
    Participant

Hi Melodica-Me
    Great song 🙂 The soprano is amazing!

Melodica-Me
    Participant

That’s Andre, I love that little red melodion.
    Melodica-Me

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button