Mid priced melodica

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Eric
    Participant

Hi. I was the proud owner of a German made Hohner 36 that I gave away many years ago. I’m looking to purchase a melodica again. What are your thoughts on the Yamaha Pianica 32 and 37? There seems to be a significant price difference between the two. Any other 32/36/37 suggestions would be great. Thanks. By the way, does anyone have an idea what melodica Donald Fagan is using? There is a YouTube video of Time out of Mind where he’s playing what looks like a blue colored 32 key but no name was visible.

Daren
    Keymaster

Hi Eric

I play a P37D, and like it very much. I’ve ordered a Schoenhut which looks very very similar, so I’ll compare the two once it arrives. The Angel Melodyhorn 37 is also quite nice…

Donald Fagan appears to be playing a Yamaha P37D.

Daren
    Keymaster

THe Schoenhut 37 arrived today. On close inspection it isn’t the same as the Yamaha, and doesn’t compare in terms of sound quality and playability. Takes a lot more effort to make a note sound, and the tone is uneven.

simchaleh
    Participant

Troy, i see that u own also the angel 37 by the review u wrote.
    Could u please give me a review of them compared, of the yamaha pianica 37 and the angel 37 Difference in key action, tonal quality, build uality, etc. which one is the most enjoyable instrument to play between them? Im debwting between those two models. Also the hohner performenr if it competes with them.
    Ive watched the different movies here on this site, but i would really like to get ur opinion between those two models side by side. Thnks!

Daren
    Keymaster

Hi Simchaleh

Tonally, the Yamaha P37D is brighter, clearer and louder. The Angel sounds a bit muffled in comparison. They both appear to have been built in a similar way – injection moulded plastic. I’ve found the reeds on the Yamaha to be more stable, but they will both go out of tune with a lot of playing. The keyboards on both are of similar depth, but the Yamaha keyboard is quieter.

To summarise, I prefer the Yamaha in every respect to the Angel!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button