Melodica Produces Wide Range of Sounds and Textures

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Alan Brinton
    Participant

I’m not sure whether this, the Berimbau, is the coconut shell instrument I saw in Phoenix, but it’s at least similar in that the gourd shell is pressed against the abdomen to produce a wah-wah effect. I see that there are lots of other Berimbau videos.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Okay, you’ve forced my hand, Professor Bootay! I just ordered the 1/2″ Trim-Lok.

Lowboy
    Participant

Hi,

Well I finally updated some of my keyboard harmonicas with weatherstripping instead of beads of silicone (see photo below). I think such weather stripping is going to save me from having to wear my melodica apron. In addition, it produces pronounced modulations.

Melodica and weatherstripping

Hopefully you can see these images even if they are just hyperlinked. I am not using my previous cloud service so I must relearn how this process works works for the new service.

Because: (1) Dropbox.com intentionally wiped out millions of hyperlinks placed by it customers (which means audio links in my previous posts are broken), (2) because I am getting better modulations due to the weatherstripping, (3) because I have improved my recording techniques, and (4) because there are many new people on Melodica World since I have posted my studies many months ago, I hope to record and post another study soon illustrating over-the-top frequency filtering effect, wah wah effect, volume modulation, frequency modulation, Leslie effects, harmonic distortion effects, and Doppler effects.

Regards,

Lowboy

Lowboy
    Participant

And bending. Let’s not forget bending. Lowboy

Alan Brinton
    Participant

That looks good. Are you experimenting at all with blocking off some of the holes (for example, with painter’s tape)?

Lowboy
    Participant

Hi Alan,

I remember you fooled around with blocking off some of the holes, but I have not done that yet for two reasons. I think the subtle variation I might hear would be overshadowed by the magnitude of the modulations and huge sound I am getting from my tube amp; and, because I am often fully or partially choking all the holes, my exploration is generally to try and increase air flow through the instrument.

The photo shows that the handle is still in place. I normally remove the handle as it can rattle when you move the melodica around. This melodica was brand new so I did not want to disturb the seal until I needed to open it for cleaning or to try and repair a reed.

I cut off the standoffs so the weather stripping lies flat. I also cut off the water valve deflector, though, with this thick weatherstripping, I see that it may not be necessary to do that.

I hope to have a new modulation study recorded next weekend. I have a new recording board and a nice large-diaphragm condensor microphone.

I can tell you that when I cranked the preamp to 10 on my 4-watt Vox AC4 and played along with some Howlin’ Wolf, I was in heaven with the attack, response, sqeaks, grunts, and distortions I was getting from the Piano 26 and other melodicas in this line from Hohner.

Regards,

Lowboy

Alan Brinton
    Participant

That makes sense. I ended up with ten open holes, with a combination of open holes with which wah-wah effect can be produced working with just the third hole in from the low end (left end in your photo). The next open hole is the 11th in from that end. But the results don’t even begin to approach the dramatic effects you have been getting with your setups and techniques.

I look forward to hearing your new studies.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button