@Melodica-Me. Eolina vs Vibrandoneon sound

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Jerry Ballard
    Participant

I’ve realized that you’re the only person who can compare Eolina vs Vibrandoneon sound, and have a question.

Can you give me your considered opinion of wow the 2 instruments compare in one specific way.
    I only play my Vibrandoneon in single reed-mode (lower, obviously).
    Since your first impressions probably were comparing the single reed Eolina sound with the double-reed Vibrandoneon, could you tell me how you think the 2 compare just in single-reed mode?

I have a line on a 2nd gen Eolina and it’s an awfully expensive purchase sight unseen (or sound unheard as it were.)

Thanks!
    Jerry

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Hi Jerry, You are correct, I do prefer the sound of the Vibrandoneon when played with both registers open. But when I play the Vibrandoneon in the lower register I do like the sound of the Eolina quite a bit. I do like the bigger keyboard as well, many feel it’s a little to big but heck, man up I say lol. NOTE: The Eolina does take a lot more air to play especially if you want to play chords than the Vibrandoneon but I have become quite good at blowing and inhaling and it is hard to hear where I do so, This is a big plus for performaning long slow melodies. They are built better than the Vibrandoneon, they have brass inserts to screw too, and the reed blocks come out like accordion do. The keys are more like accordion as well, larger than the Vibrandoneon. I do not know off hand what they are going for now, since they went back into production, but I want to say the new ones are going for over 3k euros. I do not like the gig bag that comes with it for the simple reason of no real protection for a wooden instrument. I do have an ATA case that I can fit the Eolina including the gig bag. The strap for the Eolina is nice and padded as is the handle, easy to hold and play more so than the Vibrandoneon. Please let me know if you purchase it.
    Thank you
    Melodica-Me

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Jerry, I would say that the Vibrandoneon would have more of a brash sound where the Eolina is more rounded and smoother tone. If you are in the So Cal area you are welcome to come over and play it.
    Melodica-Me

Jerry Ballard
    Participant

Thanks so much! Great informtion.
    I have the option of bi or uni directional, and I think I’m going to go unidirectional. The only benefit I see is being able to do long lines, (specifically things like Bach cello pieces) but those are not my normal thing, and I can always just arrange around them. I’m learning Coltrane’s 5 solos to Giant Steps, and there are plenty of breath spaces to work with.

It’s the black P37. I just think the P45 is too big, and makes it too different from my Vibrandoneon.
    From what you’re saying, it sounds like the instrument is a quality accordion sound, just a little different in tone, which is fine by me. I can always tweet in the mix.

Also, even if Victoria does start up production again (certain inventors are still strongly hinting) I think I might be better off with something that gives me 2 different instruments instead of just 2 that are the same.

Think I’ve made my decision.
    I’ll post more in June when it’s made.

-Jerry

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Jerry, Where are they selling those, I have been trying to get one of those for a while. I thought the black plastic ones were not being sold anymore only the standard wood Eolinas. Definately let me know when you get it. I would like to hear it.
    Melodica-Me

Jerry Ballard
    Participant

M-M… Send me your email address. To Jerry.ballard@gmail.com if you prefer.

Lowboy
    Participant

I would also be interested in knowing if the Eolina is in production. And if so, where I can find more information about it.

Lowboy

Jerry Ballard
    Participant

Contact…
    Freiburger Akkordeon Werkstatt
    Martin Maurer
    Germany
    79106 Freiburg,
    Emmendingerstr. 28

Tel. 0761 499106
    http://www.akkordeon-maurer.de
    faw@akkordeon-maurer.de

Martin Maurer at Akkordeon u. Klavier has had BB piano and button 45’s for a while on his site. I found that BB was doing a small run of P37s.
    They are black matte wood, not plastic. They’ll do either uni or bi directional. I was even able to get them to make up an ‘L’ shaped mouth pipe instead of the short ‘s’ shaped. They don’t make the large ‘S’ any more. They do supply a nice hard shell case.
    Martin has ordered 2, and they’re due to arrive in June.
    I’ve reserved one 442hz unidirectional. He’s ordered the other at uni/440 but if you’re interested I’d contact him right away and get it set up as you want.

Lowboy
    Participant

Thank you Jerry. Lowboy

Stephen
    Participant

Anyone who knows about the production of the vibrandoneon reeds?
    This website says they are made with mouth harmonica reeds ? Is this true or are the reeds accordina style ?

http://www.quadronuevo.de/en/quadro-nuevo-instrument-details.php?nickname=vibrandoneon

“In principle it works like a melodica, but it is made of high quality walnut wood and has mouth organ reeds. ”

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Hello Stephen, no the website is incorrect. The Vibrandoneon uses single reed plates that are “unidirectional” and not multi-reed plates like harmonicas or typical newer melodicas, Suzuki, Yamaha and Hohner. Some of the older melodicas like “Professional and Solist” have single reed plates as well. Many of the older Italian melodicas with small keys have single reeds as well. There are some pics that Alan posted that show these. I believe I posted some pictures of the Vibrandoneon a couple of years ago showing the reed box on here as well. I will have to check and repost.
    Thank you
    Melodica-Me
    Monsters of Melodica

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Hello Jerry, did you receive your 2nd generation Eolina yet. Curious to know how you like it and to get the review. Let me know.
    Thanks
    Melodica-Me

Jerry Ballard
    Participant

Nope.
    When I ordered it in March BB said it was one of 2 being built at that time. I’ve since provided a deposit and specified my details, (442 tuning and white pearl keys with black accidentals.)
    Since then, radio silence from BB both to me and Martin, my dealer.
    At some point I have to decide how long to wait. Been pondering an Accordina. (Any advise on which of the 2 Accordina makers have the edge?)

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Well that’s a bummer, did they require a deposit? Or just the order form filled out. Regarding the accordina. I have absolutely no experience with them. I did have a conversation with Joseph Carrel regarding his accordina when I was interested in buying one. Personally I like the ones with the side mouth piece than the end one simply because of the hand position. I am still interested just not ready to pull the trigger since I am heavily invested in a project right now but once I get past the spending portion I may revert back to it. I have seen all the videos on the net but not enough information for me to make an intelligent decision. Do you have one in mind? Please share what ever you find out.
    Thanks
    Melodica-Me

Daren
    Keymaster

Current accordina makers:

http://www.josephcarrel.com
    http://www.accordina-labourdette.com

Leçon de lutherie : qu’est-ce qu’un accordéon ?

http://www.accordinas.com

My favourite accordina is an original Borel. It’s smaller and lighter than my (Dreux) replica. The sound is very similar. Worth finding one if you can

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button