Melodica, Frame drum, and other percussion

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tom Teasley
    Participant

https://soundcloud.com/tom-teasley-music/02-rumba-for-rama

This is from my CD “All THe World’s A Stage” The drone sound at the beginning is from a bodhran “moose call” usually used on congas. The rhythm is a Sufi rhythm called Ayub. Hope you enjoy. Tom

Adam Tombs
    Participant

Hi Tom, I am a big fan of the Bodhran and have a few I play at home. Can you please explain the bodhran ‘moose call’? How do you create the sound, the only homemade calls i know of are made from a vessel like a paper/plastic cup, a length of string and a split matchstick. I can’t imagine you put a hole in your bodhran so I am guessing you rubbed the skin, like a turkey call?

Tom Teasley
    Participant

Hi Adam, Thanks for your interest. I play the bodhran only with my fingers, not a tipper. You are correct. I moisten my finger and gently rub it along the head to get friction. I’m moving the bodhran from the crossbar inside to allow me to create a figure eight movement and not interrupt the drone. An example can be found here ( sorry for the OT percussion demo)

Stay well, Tom

Adam Tombs
    Participant

That is really cool Tom, thanks for the reply and the clip. I play my bodhran with tippers but I occasionally use my fingers. For some reason I always feel I will damage my drums by playing with fingers… silly I know as tippers can really make an impact on a skin. I don’t have crossbars on any of my wee drums but I think I could do a similar thing with my smaller ‘travel’ bodhran. All my current drums are made by Christian Hedwitschak. I started on an old Vignoles that I sold to finance other interests and have regretted it ever since. I really like Christian’s drums, I don’t think you could find a better compromise between quality, value and innovation.

All the Best.

Lowboy
    Participant

Wow. Great playing Tom. Love the sound of the drum and the way you make it talk.

Lowboy

Tom Teasley
    Participant

Thank you, Adam and Lowboy. It’s great to be a part of this community! I’m learning so much about melodicas and enjoy sharing my perspective. I look forward to checking out more of your work. All best, Tom

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button