Looks like I've got a melodica collection…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Dez Bone
    Participant

Hi new to the forum and the melodica was my birthday earlier this month and my kids put their pocket money into buying me a melodica:

stagg Melodica

Being a big Depeche Mode and New Order fan I’m having a lot of fun with it. After a bit of a scout around the net I can’t believe the amount of 80s tunes they’ve been used on

Was talking to my cousin about the weans buying me a melodica for my birthday (after I explained what it was) he told me he had an old one in his garage he’d had from when he was a kid (1970s) – which he’s very kindly given me needs a clean / service – so I’ll need so work out how you do that as the inside looks a bit dubious.

hohner melodica

So the collection has doubled in less than a month

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Hi, Dez. Welcome to Melodica World.

The green soprano is the first Melodica introduced by Hohner in 1958 but continuing in production into the 1970s. The outside can be cleaned up with a soft cloth and isopropyl alcohol (the kind commonly available cheap at a local pharmacy) — I’d suggest a 50-50 mix with water. A cotton swab is useful to get between the keys. As for the inside, I’d leave it alone if it plays reasonably well and does not have an unpleasant odor.

Dez Bone
    Participant

Hi Alan, cheers for the reply,

Took it apart and cleaned it last night… and glad I did the inside was boggin, I found the remains of a 1980s spider. Keys are still a bit discoloured but it’s all clean. And I had to replace the bit of foam that separates the mouth piece from the main chamber as it had totally degraded and was crumbling.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button