Longer air tube for hohner airboard 37

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Otis Spunkmeyer
    Participant

I really like the adjustable air tube for the hohner airboard 37, but I would like to have a second long tube. I was thinking surgical tube would be my best route because I could just slip it onto the adjustable tube on there. Any idea what diameter I should order? If this isn’t my best route, any other suggestions? I don’t know how it would be playing with the surgical tube being in my mouth, might slip out without a mouth piece or air flow might be too tight?

Alan Brinton
    Participant

I have tried several types and sizes of latex tubing (sold as surgical tubing, but also for scuba diving and other purposes). I suggest starting with a 3/8″ inner diameter (ID) with a 1/8″ thick wall if you can get it at a reasonable price (in a quantity of a few yards). A smaller inner diameter can be stretched to fit but does not work in that it is too easily clogged with moisture and starts gurgling. I found black 3/8″ ID tubing that works well except that it has a thinner wall that too easily kinks like a bad garden hose. The thickness of the wall may also have something to do with the gurgling problem. A thinner walled, more flexible tubing will also expand and contract when you’re playing, creating slight delays. If there’s a medical supplies store or a scuba gear shop in your vicinity, there’s a good chance they could help find the right tubing and sell you the length you want. The 3/8″ black tubing works nicely for a short run of about 5-8 inches.

Otis Spunkmeyer
    Participant

I would have to order off the internet unless something at home-depot would work for me. Are you plugging the tubing into the melodica or are you pushing it onto the end of the flexable mouthpiece?

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Home Depot has latex tubing, though they may not have the right size. I’m attaching tubing to the plastic fittings of a regular melodica tube. If it goes into the end of the melodica, the tubing will have to fit tightly, and even then it may pop out when you’re playing. But you are thinking of using tubing to extend the adjustable tube. You’re talking about the strange looking yellow tube-mouthpiece, right? I haven’t seen one in person, but it looks like the end of a latex tube of the right inner diameter could slip over that. You might take the adjustable mouthpiece to Home Depot or a hardware store and just try the ends of whatever rolls of latex tubing they have. The alternative, which seems simpler under playing conditions, is to have a separate long Hohner tube.

Adam Tombs
    Participant

Most hardware stores have flexible clear PU tubing. I have tried this with some success on a few different melodicas.

Mysha
    Participant

Hi,

Hohner sell replacement parts, and the airboard flexible tubes are no exception. Since it’s possible to take the tubes apart link by link, it should be possible to add any number of links together, €1,- per link. (For some reason, though they sold black flexible tubes on certain models, they don’t seem to add them as replacement parts.)

I wonder whether there are limits to the size, though: Intuitively, I would say more length would ask more strength, but I don’t know whether that’s truly the case. Has anyone put them through the test? I can imagine a musician playing inside a tube, for effect, but that might be impossible to play.

On the other hand, I believe the airboards can also take a tube for a straight type. (I’ve not seen any indication that the straight models take airboard tubes, but it may just be because of it being an unintended use.)

Bye
    Mysha

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button