Keyboard Harmonica Adventure

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Lowboy
    Participant

Hi All,

I thought I would let you know about an interesting keyboard harmonica adventure I have coming up.

At the end of September, I am going to a three-day blues camp on Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire, USA.

According to the announcement, “The weekend will be filled with intensive instruction, jamming, workshops, concerts, a student concert, musical collaboration, and opportunities to learn directly from instructors attuned to the needs of each student. Plus, it’ll be beautiful leaf-peeping season at the foot of New Hampshire’s White Mountains!”

The blues camp is being held at a conference center right on the shore of the lake (Lake Winnipesaukee), which for those of you that don’t know, is a large and spectacular lake here in New England.

Some of the blues instructors include Annie Raines (harmonica) and Toni Lynn Washington (voice) among many others.

Yup, I am going to show up with my keyboard harmonicas and tube amp and see what happens.

I will let you know how it goes.

Regards,

Lowboy

Daren
    Keymaster

This sounds great Lowboy. Looking forward to you reporting back with your findings!

Lowboy
    Participant

Hi All,

Here is an update from the WUMB three-day Blues Camp in New Hampshire, USA.

There were about 45 participants, mostly from the Greater Boston area and mostly playing acoustic guitar and harmonica. There was a flute player, an acoustic bass player, and a couple of electric bass players. Many classes were offered over the three-day camp by a number of talented performers—Kerry Powers, Tony Lynn Washington, and Annie Raines to name a few. Good camaraderie. We had jams every night and lots of other jam time, formal and informal.

I brought my melodica and got mixed reactions that ranged from great interest, to curiosity, to a sense I was invading the status quo.

I did not really walk away with any active contacts, as I live too far from Boston to develop a musical relationship with anyone. Nearly everyone was from greater Boston. I did exchange numbers with a recording studio owner and player, and that could possibly lead to some musical interaction in the future.

I am still evaluating the value proposition. Many of the participants attended similar music camps sponsored by WUMB, so they knew what to expect. I think if I attended another blues camp, I would now know now how to put more into it and be able to get more out of it. At the same time, it was an experience I will carry around with me for many years.

Regards,

Lowboy

Joanna Funk
    Participant

Well done Lowboy. I would have liked that a lot. Joanna

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button