Key and Wind player from Portugal

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Miguel Catalão
    Participant

Hi guys!

My name is Miguel, I’m a Wind and Keys player from Portugal. I play piano and synths, Flute, recorder and some World flutes (Thin and Low Whistle, Bansuri, etc), bagpipes, a bit of harmonica and of course Melodica.

However, my first instrument at about 5 or 6 y/o was a Bontempi melodica that my grandma gave me, which was the instrument that got me into music.

I always had melodicas after that, but then i delved through other instruments, but always come back and had hohner, yamaha and suzuki melodicas laying around.

Some years ago i found about the Hammond Melodion 44, and i knew i needed one for myself! So this Christmas i bought one second hand ( i was lucky to find a friend that had to sell, but mint condition, hardly used! ). I tested it completely, it sounds great, it’s tuning is very regular, and the internal mic is working great and does not make noises.

Anwyay… I’ve been lurking the forum these days to try and check what was the main differences between the normal and HP, and found about something called a mylodica. For what i understood it has the approach of an Accordeon whith registers to a melodica, so probably this is going to be my next endeavor next year.

Cheers!
    MC

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Hello Miguel, welcome to the forum. For most parts the Hammond 44H and The HP are similar in design but the reeds have a different timber. if you want to here the difference in recording, go on You Tube and check out Monsters of Melodica “Sugar” solo section for the Hammond 44. To hear the Hammond HP check out Monsters of Melodica “Spain” solo section. both Great melodeons, you will need to decide what tone you prefer. As for the “Mylodica” I would save your money. basically they are inexpensive melodicas in a wood box, I own one and there was no though in removing the moisture so eventually the wood case starts to warp. I do not use mine at all. A. Wild man from the Monsters of Melodica has one as well and has the same issue. Happy to answer any questions you may have.
    Melodica-Me

Daren
    Keymaster

For me the Hammond 44 sounds like a traditional raw melodica, and the 44 HP has a slightly more refined, ‘digital’ quality to it.

They’re different – best get both!

Miguel Catalão
    Participant

Melodica-Me,

Thank’s for the reply! As i said i was lurking the forum, so i end up seeing some of your vids from youtube, including the DYI melodicas (the new diamond is beautiful!) Wonderful work! I only wish i had 1/10th of the patience and talent you have to do those instruments!

Miguel Catalão
    Participant

Daren,

One at a time! 🙂

Miguel Catalão
    Participant

BTW if you’re interested in hearing it here’s a little snippet i recorded today…

I did some tricks to get a wider pallet from it, basically doubled the bass and got it one octave down, and doubled the treble with some cents detuning and another octave up making it sound more like a bandoneon. It shows this is really a versatile instrument either for live or recording!!!

Everything recorded with it’s pickup, i was afraid it might be noisy as it is second hand!

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Miguel, your Hammond sound is very good. I personally do not like the sound of the pick up going directly to the board from the Hammond Melodeons especially on the Hyper and have stated this in the past, but I do like the tone you have achieved, very full with a nice overall round tone on the low melodeons, awesome recording, keep them coming.
    Melodica-Me

Daren
    Keymaster

I agree, that’s a really nice sound.

Miguel Catalão
    Participant

Thank’s guys!
    Glad you like it. I play world music, and sometimes i get people asking to play accordion on some tracks. I don’t play accordion, and usually i take my Hohner Melodica for those tracks and people always say it’s like a toy (which usually gets me mad bout either the melodica or the recorder).

I’m sure they will have a completely different opinion now!

Jerry Ballard
    Participant

Terrific use of octaves! Gives me some great ideas.

What box or effect are you using that allows you to de-tune?

Miguel Catalão
    Participant

Jerry,

I use Reason as my main daw. It has a built in detuner in it’s sequencer for the Audio tracks. It works in Cents or in mid tones for the audio tracks. It also has a device called polar that can be used real time for detuning, so in a live performance and using a good audio card for low latency it is a good option for this kind of effects.

The -12 tone down is also the same technique. It works nice if you lower it a bit so that the detuning artifacts don’t get too noticeable. It’s always a matter of balance.

Cheers!
    MC

Jerry Ballard
    Participant

Thanks!
    I’ve been trying to find a stomp box for my pedal setup that does this. I’ve been trying to avoid using a computer for live performance. If I could get a clean enough sound via iPad that would be another matter.
    Mainly because I don’t need that much power. Delay, reverb octave/detuner is about it. Just can’t seem to find a tool for detune.

Miguel Catalão
    Participant

You could try TC Helicon voicetone, or something simmilar. Detuning real time and chorus/unison effects are digital processes. They not only double they use phase shifting and variable detuning.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button