Jazz on Hohner Piano 26

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Stuart Goodall
    Participant

I am still a keyboard player who is exploring the melodica! This recording was made using the modern (plastic) Hohner 26 – and a hard blow it is! I have done nothing to this, but may tune it and even up the reeds that have been blown out. Noisy keys, too. I welcome any advice on this. Maybe candle wax?

https://soundcloud.com/stuart-lester-goodall/i-should-care

Lowboy
    Participant

Great playing Stuart. It transported me to a table for two outside at a French cafe.

I say embrace the keyclick! Use it! 🙂

I understand many people do not want key click in their sound. EQ can help but may damage the sound you are looking for. How about putting felt on the key stops?

Regards,

Lowboy

Stuart Goodall
    Participant

Thanks Lowboy, oui oui, it does sound a bit like a crazy accordion. So I should consider the “click” as part of the instrument’s overall sound and character – rather like the noise of woodwind pads? Yes, it’s surprising what extraneous mechanical noises we turn a blind ear to – like the thump etc that is noticeable on piano recordings. But I like that idea.

Just the same, I might try some felt, as you suggest. My old (metal) Piano 26 doesn’t have clattering keys like this one (the tone’s sweeter, too).

Lowboy
    Participant

Hi Stuart,

When it serves the song, intentional accentuation of keyclick is another tool that adds expressiveness to the melodica.

It is particularly useful in jazz, blues, and folk. It works well to add grit, roughness or a percussive attack to the sound. It also works well to add drive and rhythm when there is no percussionist in the group.

Regards,

Lowboy

Stuart Goodall
    Participant

Sorry about the removal. Will upload a better version of this superb standard, plus some other melodica stuff soon! I know it’s apostasy, but I’ve been practising the (whisper it) harmonica a little, and also trying to create some new backing tracks for melo using a two manual farfisa organ (the shade of Jimmy Smith smiling down wryly).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button