Is the range of the 25-key Pianica a poor choice?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Pál Krammer
    Participant

Already having a P-32D and P-37D, I’d love to have the smaller P-25F as well, but I dislike the choice Yamaha made for its two octave range: from low F3 to F5.

It seems that shifting up the range two whole tones to provide a range of A3 to A5 would be far more useful in what a person could play – maybe even B3 to B5.

What do you think?

Pál Krammer
    Participant

My question really is: would you prefer a 25-key melodica with a range shifted a bit upwards? To me, A3-A5 would be ideal.

Yamaha isn’t likely to change the P-25F, but they or someone else could introduce a new model.

One issue is that the keyboard layout would look very odd regarding the black and white key pattern; their current P-25, P-32, P-37 keyboard layouts look like what you’d expect on a keyboard. A shifted keyboard, especially, A3-A5, would probably need the top cover painted to show nonfunctional “phantom keys” just to avoid having unexpected visual distraction.

Daren
    Keymaster

I’d like D to D, just one tone higher – it suits the (lower) range of the flute, and fits with a lot of the tunes I play in D major.

I don’t think it would be too distracting starting on another key. There’s 2 octaves of black key patterns to see where you are…

Pál Krammer
    Participant

Yes, on a 25-key soprano, the D4-D6 range would work very well.

Gerald de Peralta
    Participant

Not at all. I have a few 25-key Pianicas with me, among them a scarce P-S25C soprano melodica. Well, that’s from my standpoint, who’s on a budget, as brand new melodicas ain’t cheap.

But if you have the budget, go for the 32- or 34-key ones. If money’s not an object, go for a 44-key Hyper Melodion.

Philip Hyland
    Participant

Would one of the old 26 key Hohner’s have the range you need

Pál Krammer
    Participant

Philip,

Until you mentioned it, I hadn’t noticed the Hohner offerings. It seems their range is B3 to B5, so that would make a nice compact melodica with a range I would like.

barbara weiss
    Participant

In my opinion, not a poor choice because I like the Yamaha 25 feels to play; it feels light and nimble. I agree that the F-F range is not optimal.

I would rather have A-A. I would buy d-d as mentioned in this discussion.

The Suzuki MX27 is great, and range is F-g. the extra notes make a difference to me. It is one of my favorites to play. I have two; the one that says Made in Japan on the case with Japanese on the body of the melodica is better feeling and sounding than the one that I have that has no such writing. (both cases says Suzuki MX27).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button