How to prevent the tube from slipping out of the mouth

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Carola
    Participant

I don’t like the hard and slippery mouthpiece that’s attached to the tube.
    First, I’ve tried to use mouthpiece patches for saxophones to get a better grip, but wasn’t happy with that.

But now I’ve found something that feels very comfortable, no need to bite or to press with the lips: A baby dummy! (Also called: pacifier, soother, dodie, … depending on region). I use silicone dummies (Yamaha: size 2 or 3, Suzuki: size 3, usually the largest available size).

If you want to try this yourself:

Remove the dummy from the mouth shield and cut off the tip:

prepare the dummy

Put it on the (cleaned) mouthpiece:

dummy on mouthpiece

Then adjust position and length so that it feels comfortable for you and doesn’t block the airflow.

For hygienic reasons, I recommend rinsing it with water after playing and drying it carefully.

I think food grade silicon tubes might be an alternative, but I like the rounded shape of the dummy, it’s really comfortable.

Carola
    Participant

For some reason, the images are not displayed. Here’s another try:

https://app.box.com/s/915yog76l2yfqdubfpn6r17nrh23oc8d

https://app.box.com/s/hs9nrk0vw4l2n7dw5alhjs8lrtckuslv

Lamar
    Participant

That looks much better than I was imagining. 🙂

Carola
    Participant

Yes, I was also positively surprised. I think it looks quite unspectacular, especially if one doesn’t know what it was originally.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Good, I like this. Let’s face it, the melodica is a source of oral satisfaction. Another alternative is using a short piece of rubber tubing of a diameter that fits snugly into the mouthpiece receptacle.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button