How Hard to Blow into Melodica to Clean?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    HopelessComposer
    Participant

Hi everyone! I’m sure this question seems stupid to all of you, so I’m sorry for asking, but how hard should I blow into my melodica to remove spit from it after I’m done playing? I googled, but couldn’t find an answer. It seemed obvious to me that I should blow as hard as I could, to remove as much moisture as possible, but then I read somewhere that blowing too hard into the instrument could damagae or misalign the reeds. I’m assuming that when the spit valve is open, the reeds aren’t getting any air blown across them anyway, so blowing as hard as possible is okay while cleaning the instrument, but I thought I’d ask to make sure. I’ve been playing piano on and off for most of my life now, so my sweet girlfriend bought me the melodica as a gift this Christmas. I’d be very sad if I accidentally ruined the instrument two days into owning it, so I figured I’d ask to be safe; on that note, any general tips for extending the life of the instrument would be much appreciated. =)

Thank you for any advice you can give me, everyone. I hope you all had a nice holiday. Cheers! 🙂

Daren
    Keymaster

Hello Hopeless!

Merry Christmas, what a thoughtful girlfriend you have 🙂 Yes, you can blow as hard as you like with the spit valve open.

HopelessComposer
    Participant

Daren, thank you very much for your response. I can get back to playing now without worries now! 🙂
    And yes, my girlfriend is very thoughtful. I count myself lucky to have her. God knows what she sees in me, hahah!
    Thanks again for the help. I’m having a lot of fun with my melodica – it’s a very nice instrument. I wouldn’t be surprised if I ended up with a small collection of them a few years from now! 😀

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Hello Hopelesscomposer, and welcome to the forum. You can also remove the cap and stand them up on end and let gravity take over as well. I don’t want to scare you, but yes, melodicas are like crack, once you start playing them it is hard to stop, I have talked to Daren about starting a 12 step program for those that really need help. Lol
    Melodica-Me
    Monsters of Melodica

HopelessComposer
    Participant

Thanks for the extra advice, Melodica! By the cap, I assume you mean the mouth piece, correct? I’ll give it a try! And I’m still having a ton of fun with my melodica. I think it’s going to help my music overall, too – I’ve been picking out melodies for the the last few days on it. It feels like my ears are getting better already! 🙂

Let me know when the 12 step program is finished. I think I’ll be needing it, hahah! 😀

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button