How do I deal with criticism? (“It’s a children’s toy”)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Antigone P
    Participant

I have recently been wanting to get myself a melodica but some relatives of mine suggested that the Melodica is sounding annoying and is also a toy for children. I fully believe the opposite but this comment hurt me a little. How should I cope with this comment and other future comments?

Daren
    Keymaster

You can’t get away from the melodica being perceived as a toy by some, because they’re used by so many children, and come in a selection of bright colours!

Remember the harmonica (mouth organ) was initially a toy, which crossed over as musicians started taking it more seriously. So see yourself as a pioneer. An early adopter. It’s what you are.

Personally I don’t mind what people think. What really matters to me is what it sounds like. Like any instrument, if you put in the practice, it can sound beautiful. Just think what a violin sounds like played be a beginner. Most people are only used to hearing beginners on melodica.

Play them something great from YouTube!

Antigone P
    Participant

Thank you for your view, Daren!

I do believe that I am a pioneer just like you said, and will simply do my own thing from now no matter what the “haters” say. I am aware that the melodica can sound brilliant and that depending on how you play it, and personally I wouldn’t be discouraged to play the melodica simply because some people told me that it’s humiliating.

I’ll just keep it up 🙂

Henry Lowengard
    Participant

You can point to this melodica playlist I made!

Leonard
    Participant

Don’t let anyone rain on your parade, Keep playing and enjoy the progress. I’ve never had that sort of
    criticism, maybe its coming from a younger person who has no appreciation of personal made music.
    Just play, the skills you gain in my opinion are indelible, I mean to say that any skills you gain are rarely forgotten.
    Maybe you need to find a more isolated place to play, a tunnel, a park, A hill top,don’t stop!

Lowboy
    Participant

Hi Antigone,

Show or tell critics about the Hammond melodicas that cost $650 dollars.

Point to professional musicians such as John Medeski, Jack DeJohnette, and Jon Batiste and many others who have or are playing the melodica at a supreme level of musicianship.

Lowboy

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button