Hohner Pro 36 on Ebay, seemingly perfect condition

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Ofir
    Participant

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171723779364?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l4448&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI171723779364.N1.S1.M262.R1.TR2

I put a bid around 100$, currently over 300$ (which I’m not willing to pay).
    If someone is interested..

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Over $460 right now. Why do people bid these things up early? It makes no sense. It may be worth that much, but there really is no way of knowing. “Fully operational” really doesn’t mean much.

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Alan, here is my take, I see a Pro 36 or any melodica I am interested in on Ebay, I really look at it good, lettering is all there, no nick, chips, no scratches, keys are all even, no yellowing, strap is nice, case is good, mouth piece looks good. I will bid up to $300.00 (Pro-36) because I may have to send it out for leaks and tuning for a possible $100.00 to have it working perfect. I hold it and sell it to someone that comes to me looking for a Pro 36 and knows what they are looking for and sell it for $500-$550. I have seen a few really almost perfect Pro 36 melodicas on Ebay that have sold for a lot of money and yes I have seen a lot of Pro 36 that looked like train wrecks that have sold for more than I would ever pay. As long as they are hard to come by price will never be an issue to that one person who really wants one. OK so its now $513.90 with 20 min. to go, it is a nice looking Pro-36 Good luck bidding

Melodica-Me

Alan Brinton
    Participant

I was ready to try a last minute bid at $200 or so, but I’d have to really know it was in pristine condition to pay $500+. So I’ll just keep my eyes open on some lesser known sites and see if one comes up sometime. I have lots of mighty fine melodicas already!

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Alan, you never know what they will go for. This one looked Really clean, as long as all the reed sound and are just a little off tune (no cracked reeds) and it’s in good shape you can have it sealed and tuned for about about $100 so use that as your basis to bid. I would not attemp to fix leaks unless you can tell where the leak is and it is possible for you to get to it. Otherwise let a pro work on it, I have a source of you do find one and want it serviced here in Los Angeles. So the final bid came in at $536.56.
    Melodica-Me

Ofir
    Participant

Alan, what are these lesser known sites? 🙂

Melodica-Me, Is 500-550$ really a reasonable price for a perfect condition Hohner pro 36?
    Next time you have one, please let me know.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Lesser known sites wouldn’t be lesser known if everybody knew about them, Ofir.

I’d say that a perfect condition Professional 36 should have comparable value to a Hammond 44, which puts it in that range. But I think the only way I’d pay that much is if I was able to actually inspect one and try it out — unless it were from somebody here in whose judgment I have confidence.

Ofir
    Participant

Thank you Alan.

Is there any video / audio online which shows the sound of the Pro 36?
    Frankly, I couldn’t find anything to build on.
    If not exist, then if some of you can record something, with no EQ or effects, that could be great.
    Thanks!

Alan Brinton
    Participant
    Melodica-Me
    Participant

Ofir, here is one of my favorite you Tube video with Piano and Professional 36.

Ofir
    Participant

Thanks guys, both recordings sound very different –
    Bruno’s sounds more like a small accordion, whereas Mario’s sound like a muted (like the trumpet muter) harmonica.
    Getting back to the first dilemma – how to get a good idea of the sound of an instrument without holding it in my hands..

My request for an EQ/Effect-less recording is still valid, from the ones who own the Pro36. As the holy grail of Melodica’s, I’m really interested..

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Ofir, if I get a chance I will record the Pro-36 with no effects or EQ. Keep in mind that the same melodica will sound different depending on the microphone that is used. I normally use a Numan U87 ot TLM depending on the sound I am looking for. I will be in the studio on the 7,8,and 9th of next month for some keyboard work, I will see if I can get them to record the Pro-36 for me and I will post.
    Melodica-Me

Adam Tombs
    Participant

I also had a look at the Pro 36 you guys are talking about. I watch carefully for Pro 36’s when they pop up on ebay and I can confidently state that 500 to 600 US$ is about right for what they are worth in good condition, not much getting around it…. That said, my Pro 36 cost me abut $US100 but it did need another $100 or so to repair it’s broken reed and a bit of a tune and tweak by a professional accordian repairer. I was pretty chuffed to get a functioning Pro 36 for that kind of money. As a tip, I used different search terms and actually found it under ‘vintage hohner keyboard’ search terms, the seller was a German person.

It’s a bit of a gamble shopping for things like a Pro 36, especially when prices tip the $500 mark. However, if we compare this to the prices paid for a vintage Martin guitar or a mid ranged collectible guitar, then $500 is a bargain.

Melodica-Me has done it all before so I follow his posts intently when it comes to all things Hohner Pro 36, soloist etc

Bruno Travi
    Participant

Bello Offir, Oscar, Alan, Adam….

To achieve the sound of Mario Dueñas video is easy:

– Closed position condenser microphone to Pro36
    – Use EQ with LowPassFilter cutting between 5-6 khz
    – Use EQ and increases 5db or more around 120 hz
    – A little compressor and delay.

Ready ! Hohner Professional 36 muted sound version.

Lowboy
    Participant

I must say that the Hohner Professional 36 sounds bodaciously beautiful. And For the first time, I also heard some potential in the Hammond Hyper. Thanks Bruno and Melodica-Me

Lowboy

P.S. I was watching the Professional 36 on Ebay too and could not believe my eyes when the bidding was over. I think I need a tag sale find!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button