hohner mouthpiece

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Paul
    Participant

I started getting into the melodica just a few months ago, and I’m really enjoying it. Maybe too much… I’ve gotten three already: a green Hohner soprano, a Hohner piano 26 and a Hohner piano 27, all the old, metal cased versions, and they sound great. The reviews on this site were a big factor in choosing those models. Other ones I’ve heard in the same price range sound like toys. Thank you!
    All of these are quite old and look to have gotten a fair amount of use over the years, with bite marks and so on, and even though I’ve washed them thoroughly, I have to admit it’s a bit gross. So I hired a 3D print shop to make some; a batch of 100 to make it worthwhile. I don’t need that many, so the rest are on ebay now. I don’t mean this to be an advertisement… well, a little bit, but really I just thought you all might want to know. They’re made from PETG, which is what they make spring water bottles from. I had a few black and white ones made, and they look nice, but I went with clear for the bulk of them just to be on the safe side as far as the possibility of ingesting dyes. Clear does not use any dyes.

Daren
    Keymaster

Good to hear you’re experimenting with 3D printing parts Paul. PETG’s a great material, nice and strong with a bit of flex. Who are you getting to print your parts? Are they sanding and finishing them for you, or do you do that yourself?

Could you send a link to the ebay listing? I couldn’t find anything

Paul
    Participant

Hi Daren,

I found someone locally through 3Dhubs.com. I brought over a melodica and mouthpiece and he made drawings based on the mouthpiece and tested the fit on the melodica. I wouldn’t characterize these as flexible; the Hohner mouthpiece design is pretty thick, compared to say, a water bottle, and at that thickness they just feel solid.

I rinse them well but I haven’t been sanding them. I suppose if you played for a very long time at a stretch the layers might irritate your lips. That hasn’t been a problem for me. PETG is sandable so it would not be difficult for someone to shape and smooth it to their taste. Do you mean a finish like some kind of clear coat? I don’t know what would be a safe coating. I think it’s better to leave it as-is. But I’m open to suggestions. My thought is to keep it simple and the price low and if people want to modify them they’re welcome to. I don’t plan on turning this into a business… when these are gone, that’s it.

Here’s the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/302216403653?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Paul Durham
    Participant

Welcome, Paul. I played melodica for many years, but after I had a stroke I lost my right hand. While trying to see what I could do with my left I learned about the new models that can be played on a table. Like you I was so exited I bought several. It is something that I can see you enjoy. Thank you for your 3D project. I’m sure it will help many. Your enthusiasm is great.

Daren
    Keymaster

I would have thought finishing them with a coat of something might be advisable, as the way they are printed (layer by layer) leaves them slightly porous, and prone to harbouring bacteria. There are food safe sealants people use with 3D printing, but I’m not sure who makes them.

I’m planning to make my next mouthpiece with 3D printed ceramic. Its glazed in the traditional way after printing, so its considered just as safe as ceramic plates and cups etc.

Paul
    Participant

Just did a little research and apparently polyurethane lacquer is considered food safe (once dry, of course). I may have some on hand, so I think I’ll try sanding one or two of these and coating them. I’ll do some more research and see if there’s a particular brand or type that’s recommended. If I end up doing this for all of them, I’ll have to raise the price to cover the cost and time involved. That may make it hard to compete with the new old stock ones that are still out there, for now. I don’t suppose Hohner is still making these?

Paul
    Participant

Actually I may go with shellac instead. It’s well-known for being non-toxic, it sticks to anything, and I know I have some on hand. It’s fairly expensive, though. But it won’t take a lot to coat a mouthpiece.

Daren
    Keymaster

I’m sure you’ll get super quick at sanding and coating!

amanda szostek
    Participant

that is awesome! i recognized that photo from ebay~ i just ordered one. i had no idea they were 3-d printed. Great that you did it!!!

amanda szostek
    Participant

did you find a good coating?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button