Hohner International

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Alan Brinton
    Participant

Okay, here’s something different, the Hohner International F-32. During the 1970s (to 1980s?), Hohner USA, without involvement from Hohner Germany, contracted with manufacturers in a variety of other countries, to produce musical instruments under the “Hohner International” label. Countries of manufacture included The Democratic Republic of Germany (East Germany), Switzerland, Czechoslovakia, Italy, Brazil and maybe some others. There are lots of Hohner International harmonicas and accordions, but only one Hohner International Melodica, which I possess (well, only one of which I’m aware). I know that a couple of other Melodica Worlders were cheering me on as I was bdding for this, and here it is. The first two photos are the seller’s, the rest just taken by me.

You can see that it has a very distinctive solid-clunky two-tone red and white appearance. The workmanship is not very refined, the sound is unlike that of any other vintage Hohner and undistinguished. Key action is relatively sticky and uneven. However, it was relatively air tight. But I had to pry it apart (carefully but somewhat forcefully, using Popsickle sticks), and we’ll see how air tight it is after reassembly. Naturally, I couldn’t wait to take a look inside.

Alan Brinton
    Participant

This Melodica had been taken apart before, but there is none of the kind of discoloration of the reeds or reed plates that is evidence of a melodica’s actually having been used much.

The F-32 has a rocker type venting mechanism, though not the same kind as used on many Suzukis. This mechanism is just so-so in terms of effectiveness.

Here we can see how irregularly spaced the key pads are, which explains the unevenness of the keyboard itself. The second and third key in from the right are actually lightly fused together and will require minor surgery. The excess of plastic frizziness on the last couple of key pads is representative of the lack of fit and finish that chracterizes the whole instrument.

The F-32 is more of a historical curiosity than a melodica that you’d want to play. It came with an ill-fitting duck-bill mouthpiece and very flimsy nylon carrying bag.

Although country of origin is not indicated, my guess is Brazil, as Hohner International harmonicas up for auction commonly say “made in Brazil” and in Europe better melodica-making expertise would have been more readily available. This model is nothing like any produced in Asia.

Lowboy
    Participant

It looks like the sound is projected out of the back of the instrument. A rarity.

Lowboy

Alan Brinton
    Participant

Some sound definitely is projected out the vents on the bottom. But if a tree falls in the forest and nobody’s there to perceive it, ….

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button